Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Herculining gotchas for JK Unlimited with pics

Old 02-27-2008, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice guys. I don't think we'll be doing anything like that real soon, but someday maybe.

A friend of mine once brought back a picture of an older Jeep (a CJ I think) that had been linex-ed inside and out. Considering the durability, I guess it would be a cool thing for serious off-roading.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks pretty sweet. I like it.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Any update on Pics with the doors back in? Love the look and more so the function!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by avosfit
Any update on Pics with the doors back in? Love the look and more so the function!
Sorry, forgot the Pics!
Here ya go

Last edited by Voodoo; 06-03-2008 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLKRUBI
I did this to the 84 CJ that I had before my JK and on a 2000 Tacoma that I had. It works great, you just have top make sure to get enough coats on it, which becomes harder and harder after the first one. I like having it done, but I hate doing the job.
Is that usually what's recommended? Will 1 gallon of this stuff give you enough for two coats?

Voodoo did you do two coats? Also did you do the UV stabilizer?
Old 02-28-2008, 08:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rogu3JK
Is that usually what's recommended? Will 1 gallon of this stuff give you enough for two coats?

Yeah, for a two door. I had some left over from the gallon for extra coats on my CJ. I would think an Unlimited may require more. I personally never used the UV coat because I liked it betterafter it faded to flat black.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rogu3JK

Yes, you have to get all the luster away before painting! Make all the surfaces you want to line DULL and then rub with Acetone. You can leave the original paint on (actually better) but make sure you sand it so it becomes dull !

For the 4 door 1 gallon should be enough I guess: For 3 coats in the back and 2 in the footwells I used 3 liters of product.

As for the UV stablizer: I used "ProtectaKote UVR - Black" the anti UV-stuff is already in there, so no need for the extra step. The UV resistant stuff costed me 12 $ more per can, but I figured that better do it right and do it once...
Old 02-28-2008, 09:10 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Voodoo
Yes, you have to get all the luster away before painting! Make all the surfaces you want to line DULL and then rub with Acetone. You can leave the original paint on (actually better) but make sure you sand it so it becomes dull !

For the 4 door 1 gallon should be enough I guess: For 3 coats in the back and 2 in the footwells I used 3 liters of product.

As for the UV stablizer: I used "ProtectaKote UVR - Black" the anti UV-stuff is already in there, so no need for the extra step. The UV resistant stuff costed me 12 $ more per can, but I figured that better do it right and do it once...
My understanding was that the UV stuff just kept it from fading, that's all. As a matter of fact, when I used Hurculiner on my Toyota, the UV coat wasn't even out yet, so I don;t think that efffects the durability of Hurculiner, just the apperance.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLKRUBI
My understanding was that the UV stuff just kept it from fading, that's all. As a matter of fact, when I used Hurculiner on my Toyota, the UV coat wasn't even out yet, so I don;t think that efffects the durability of Hurculiner, just the apperance.
You're right BLKRUBI, the UV stuff is mainly in there to avoid fading (but I think it also helps in keeping the polyurethane flexible and elastic. Just my feeling though).
I figured that in the italian sun it would fade to a dull greyish-black pretty soon so I got the UV-resistant one. The dealer had a truck bed in his parking which was painted 50-50 with normal black and UVR black.
Told me he has it out there for 'bout 2-3 years now mainly to show people what the stuff looks like. While the "normal" black looked ok I prefered the other one as it was still shiny...
Old 03-07-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Freak

Default ?

when you say cure do you mean just set out for 24 hrs without using it? and when is the best time to put on the UV protectant?

Quick Reply: Herculining gotchas for JK Unlimited with pics