Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

hey guys...best bang for the buck first mods?

Old 07-17-2014, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey guys...best bang for the buck first mods?

I recently purchased an 08 unlimited x...and was curious as to what y'all would recommend for my first mods.. lightly offroading mainly for hunting and some trail riding...I came from the subaru sti community and it seems like the jeep community is pretty awesome..well names Nate let me know thanks
Old 07-17-2014, 09:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go drive it offroad for a bit and then determine what you feel you need. They're pretty capable stock.

You could pickup a set of Rubicon takeoff tires/wheels for slightly bigger rubber and better wheels than the X model. Search Craigslist for misc jeep parts and see what catches your eye. Rubicon rock rails would be good protection as well & you can find em cheap.

Post up some pics of your jeep.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look underneath and see what you have for skids. Stock wheels/tires are fine for what you plan on doing right now but adding some protection underneath is always good (as well as sliders mentioned above). Check out what you have for an evap canister skid (if any). either relocate it or skid it. Both the relocate kits and skid options are relatively inexpensive. Also check you tranny/oil pan protection. Stock JK's leave the oil pan uncovered so that can be damaged (although is 4 years I never hit mine even when rock crawling...but have recently put a skid on it).

And then go have fun with it. Once you take it in the woods and test it, you'll learn what you need.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

I personally felt that the primary item my JK needed after I purchased it was better lighting. I camp with my Jeep. Driving in/out for pizza through the woods at night, and in 2 cases during rain, the only way to see anything was with my aux lighting. The headlight suck. A headlight upgrade or a pair of driving lights would make a huge difference. If budget is an issue, I know a lot of guys on ere are selling nice PIAA or KC lights for cheap so they can buy led lights. You can wheel pretty well with a stock JK. If you have the cash, upgraded tires are wonderful, but are $$$ costly. Rubi take offs can be found for pretty good discounted prices if you take your time and look. I sold my 5 stock rubi tires only, to a guy with a sport for $650. They had 4K miles on them.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...done-125817/#b
Old 07-17-2014, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

MORE dead pedal and an RR center console arm rest pad
Old 07-17-2014, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

personally some of my favorite mods have been the VDP front bumper mod. JKS quick disconnects. Plasti dipping hinges is a cheap weekend project. Skids are always good as well.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

oh and learning how to rotate photos is a cheap mod also
Old 07-20-2014, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mudhole87
I recently purchased an 08 unlimited x...and was curious as to what y'all would recommend for my first mods.. lightly offroading mainly for hunting and some trail riding...I came from the subaru sti community and it seems like the jeep community is pretty awesome..well names Nate let me know thanks
My top favorite alterations/mods have been:
1) drill the hole in each side mirror to drain water.
2) mesh for grill
3) rubicon shocks
4) spiderweb shade
5) rear cargo mat.
6) speaker upgrade.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Consider getting some recovery gear.

Quick Reply: hey guys...best bang for the buck first mods?