Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Home Mod Sway bar disconnects

Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wittys-jk
I had this set up for about a month and started to notice my front end getting squirrely on me a little. I threw my bolts back on and it was much better so I am not confident in this set up. This was my experience running a 3" lift and 35's so it may be different for others.
Try it with the same parts I used on receipt. Use the second from end hole on pin for the cotter and drill out for size. In order for it not to rattle its got to be a right fit.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:02 PM
JK Super Freak

I think the washers I am using may be to thick and I can't get my pin into the first hole exiting the sway bar link. I might revisit becuase they were convenient to have when I needed to disconnect quickly.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think the washers I am using may be to thick and I can't get my pin into the first hole exiting the sway bar link. I might revisit becuase they were convenient to have when I needed to disconnect quickly.
Yea I can see what you mean about thick washers because mine is a tight fit also. I also grinded the tip of the cotter to make it a lol easier to put in.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine rattles over bumps, big deal. I have a flowmaster super 10 too Lol. As for the squirlyness in the front end, a 1/16" of movement in the swaybar isn't going to change handling. Heck you could rub without it connected at all if you want. I personally would never waste $100 on disconnects when I can do the exact same thing with $5 of hardware. And if for some reason it does fail (highly highly unlikely) your jeep isn't going to crash into a ditch. In fact you probably wouldn't feel it unless they both broke at the same time. There is no load on the hitch pins tho.

Last edited by kh202; 04-01-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

Nice...looks like project for this weekend.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:49 PM
JK Super Freak

I had this set up for about a month and started to notice my front end getting squirrely on me a little. I threw my bolts back on and it was much better so I am not confident in this set up. This was my experience running a 3" lift and 35's so it may be different for others.
I think that may have been in your head because a bit of movement in the sway bar will not make the front end squirrelly. All the sway bar does is match the left shell to the right in up and down travel. It has nothing to do with a left to right motion which is how I would think "squirrelly" would mean. If I'm mis understanding your idea of squirrelly please let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kh202
Mine rattles over bumps, big deal. I have a flowmaster super 10 too Lol. As for the squirlyness in the front end, a 1/16" of movement in the swaybar isn't going to change handling. Heck you could rub without it connected at all if you want. I personally would never waste $100 on disconnects when I can do the exact same thing with $5 of hardware. And if for some reason it does fail (highly highly unlikely) your jeep isn't going to crash into a ditch. In fact you probably wouldn't feel it unless they both broke at the same time. There is no load on the hitch pins tho.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stgillen
Nice...looks like project for this weekend.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Redman333

I think that may have been in your head because a bit of movement in the sway bar will not make the front end squirrelly. All the sway bar does is match the left shell to the right in up and down travel. It has nothing to do with a left to right motion which is how I would think "squirrelly" would mean. If I'm mis understanding your idea of squirrelly please let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I did some work on my drive train this weekend and discovered that my upper track bar bolt was slightly loose. I went ahead and changed my OEM hardware with some grade 8 9/16 bolts and retightened everything and I think that was the issue. I am going to give the disconnects another shot and see how it goes.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Default Awesome thread Hrdtyme!!!!!!

I was just going to buy some disconnects but now I dont have to waste my money!!!

Now I can buy other stuff

Thanks a lot

Quick Reply: Home Mod Sway bar disconnects