Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Home Mod Sway bar disconnects

Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this yesterday and I will be pulling it today. Although it work and it doesn't rattle there is a problem of the play in the bracket. Over time the movement in there will start to oval that bracket. What I am going to end up doing is getting a grade 8 bolt and put it through and put a nut on. Then ill put the sway bar on followed by drilling a hole for the pin after. Therefore there will be no play in the bracket and the sway bar will just slide on and off without the bolt ever being removed.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by White-JKU
I did this yesterday and I will be pulling it today. Although it work and it doesn't rattle there is a problem of the play in the bracket. Over time the movement in there will start to oval that bracket. What I am going to end up doing is getting a grade 8 bolt and put it through and put a nut on. Then ill put the sway bar on followed by drilling a hole for the pin after. Therefore there will be no play in the bracket and the sway bar will just slide on and off without the bolt ever being removed.
Meh i really wouldn't worry about it. As stated before, a little play isn't going to hurt anything or be noticeable handling wise. Not like you should be taking turns under 4g's of force anyways

The way mine is setup, I have one washer on each side of the sway bar link. There really shouldn't be THAT much play. I also recommend getting a sinch strap to hold up the sway bar when you disconnect. It sounds like overkill but i just got sick of the zip ties breaking. This is actually quicker. I wrap it 2-3 times around the swaybar links and the swaybar itself and then attach both ends on a piece of metal/frame up near the head lights in the front (very hard to explain without looking at it). But that way the links are out of the way and the sway bar is held in place so it can't swing down. Easier and faster than zipties IMO. I can post up some pics after work if someone wants to see what i mean.

Last edited by kh202; 04-03-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by psheffern
I was just going to buy some disconnects but now I dont have to waste my money!!!

Now I can buy other stuff

Thanks a lot

Old 04-03-2013, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by White-JKU
A play in what bracket?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kh202
you are welcome
Old 04-03-2013, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by psheffern
I was just going to buy some disconnects but now I dont have to waste my money!!!

Now I can buy other stuff

Thanks a lot

No Problem
Old 04-03-2013, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

I just went and got the parts today. It ran about $12 for everything .. still quite cheaper than aftermarket.

Now just hoping to find the right wrenches to get the bolts out.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeep_Dawg08
I just went and got the parts today. It ran about $12 for everything .. still quite cheaper than aftermarket.

Now just hoping to find the right wrenches to get the bolts out.
Let me know how it goes and Happy trails to ya!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Did mine but had to go with 7/16 chevis pins on my 2010 Sahara. They fit snug and don't feel any difference. Great mod!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3107483481.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	442886   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1074900328.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	442887  
Old 04-05-2013, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stgillen
Did mine but had to go with 7/16 chevis pins on my 2010 Sahara. They fit snug and don't feel any difference. Great mod!
Hey looks great! Let me know how it works on the trails. Don't forget to strap it up when u disconnect them.

Quick Reply: Home Mod Sway bar disconnects