Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Homemade door hanger, using door hinges

Old 02-25-2010, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade door hanger, using door hinges

Hi guys-

I just finished my DIY door hanger in my garage. It is still in prototype form, but I think all is good, so I will do a bit of finish work and be done with it.

I wanted to use the stock door hinges to hang them, so I made 4 hangers using a 3/4" piece of conduit with 3/8" washers welded to the top and bottom. I then welded that to a bracket attached to two 4x4 posts lag bolted together. I had to use 2 to get the space i needed between the door interior and the wall. I then mounted the posts to a 1 inch melamine backer. This is the same material that racquetball courts are lined with. I finished up by putting 6 lag bolts through the melamine into 2 different studs. The doors are held in the "closed" position by a mini bungee and an eye bolt.

Keep in mind I am going to clean them up and paint them still, but they feel rock solid, which was my main goal.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

Thats the coolest damn thing I have seen..........VERY NICE.....
Old 02-25-2010, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like that idea, thanks for posting. I will have to work on that.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys! Glad someone else likes the idea
Old 02-25-2010, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

could you post some close up shots of the hinges, with doors on and off. please

it looks great
Old 02-25-2010, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Brian08JK
could you post some close up shots of the hinges, with doors on and off. please

it looks great
X2 on that
Old 02-25-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

I am having a hard time getting close up pictures since they are all black and my garage isn't very bright. Seriously, the hinges are just a piece of the smallest conduit I could find, cut to a little less than one inch, then 3/8" washers welded (very ugly btw, haha) to the top and bottom. Then the conduit was welded to a piece of flat metal that was then bolted to the 4x4. Very simple, and I actually didn't use measurements for any of the metal work, just tried different washers until one fit the door pins snug. Since the conduit is less than one inch long, the pins are supported by both the top and bottom washers.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a cool idea...I have to give you credit for it.....BUT, not to be a wet blanket....those hinges and the door where they mount are not made to support the entire weight of the door for long periods. It may well work, but I would look for stress marks around where the hinges bolt on. When the doors are on the Jeep, they have the latches for support on the other side.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
That's a cool idea...I have to give you credit for it.....BUT, not to be a wet blanket....those hinges and the door where they mount are not made to support the entire weight of the door for long periods. It may well work, but I would look for stress marks around where the hinges bolt on. When the doors are on the Jeep, they have the latches for support on the other side.

I was thinking the same thing. The hinges (the ones anchored to the wood) are taking alot of stress. I would hate to come home after a day of offroading and find one or both doors laying on the ground due to the hinge fatiguing or wood breaking.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:16 PM
JK Newbie

i just rest my doors on a workbench in my garage, but the biggest thing i have noticed is that they are prone togetting door dings from ppl walking by, bikes, vehicle doors, etc..

wouldn't it be better to place the doors painted side towards the wall? as an added measure of protection? just my 2 cents..

Quick Reply: Homemade door hanger, using door hinges