Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Homemade door hanger, using door hinges

Old 02-26-2010, 02:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice idea

what i did was make 2 quick triangular frames out of some scrap 2x4 and mounted them the the studs in my garage. they are long enough to hold 2 doors on each and you just roll the windows down and hang the doors from the top edge of the window
Old 02-26-2010, 04:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
That's a cool idea...I have to give you credit for it.....BUT, not to be a wet blanket....those hinges and the door where they mount are not made to support the entire weight of the door for long periods. It may well work, but I would look for stress marks around where the hinges bolt on. When the doors are on the Jeep, they have the latches for support on the other side.
I have had the same thoughts about this. I was thinkingong about making some sort of secondary support around the latch or bottom of the door, but not sure that it is necessary. It doesn't "feel" like any stress on any parts other than the hinge, but it is a situation I will continue to watch. And don't apologize, from the looks of things around here, it wouldn't be an official JK thread with you having at least a few doubts, lol.

In regards to hanging the doors with the paint towards the wall. That might be best for some people. I didn't want the paint resting against the wall, and I have no rugrats running around, so paint facing out is my preferred way.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shaunlierly
I have had the same thoughts about this. I was thinkingong about making some sort of secondary support around the latch or bottom of the door, but not sure that it is necessary. It doesn't "feel" like any stress on any parts other than the hinge, but it is a situation I will continue to watch. And don't apologize, from the looks of things around here, it wouldn't be an official JK thread with you having at least a few doubts, lol.

In regards to hanging the doors with the paint towards the wall. That might be best for some people. I didn't want the paint resting against the wall, and I have no rugrats running around, so paint facing out is my preferred way.
Understand I wasn't knocking your idea. I think it's cool. Them sumbitches may hang there till the next ice age and not hurt a thing. I would just hate it if they didn't.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Understand I wasn't knocking your idea. I think it's cool. Them sumbitches may hang there till the next ice age and not hurt a thing. I would just hate it if they didn't.
I appreciate that and for giving me a heads up on your concerns. I was just kidding with you, since it seems like you are the local "realist" around here.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Brilliant idea
Old 02-26-2010, 06:20 AM
JK Freak

Good idea! Just wonder if the weight will ever cause any problems with the bracket going into the wood. Does it feel plenty strong?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeepPilot88
Good idea! Just wonder if the weight will ever cause any problems with the bracket going into the wood. Does it feel plenty strong?
Yes, where the bracket attaches is very strong. I used two 2" lag bolts for each bracket. The 4x4 posts I used were very high quality, also. When building them yesterday, I tested them by standing on the brackets, one at a time. I'm about 175, and nothing budged with all of my weight on them. I guess I could add a hook through the window to catch the door if it ever fell...
Old 03-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Ice
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gotta do this soon! summer's coming!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:52 PM
JK Freak

Nice idea. I hang my doors from the hinges also, on my Door Tree. If anybody is worried about the wood breaking then you can make the whole thing out of steel, just use a 4x4 steel post instead.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

Great idea... thanks for the pics. I'm looking at making something less permanent so I can store the doors in a spare bedroom..

but your pic has me thinking... what about a vertical.. hanging from the ceiling rig ( I've got 12' ceilings in my garage ).. on a pulley..

well, if I build this,... I'll have to post some pics ', eh?

Quick Reply: Homemade door hanger, using door hinges