Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

How to change your spark plugs

Old 04-24-2015, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tombstone17
Just a quick helper. One, use a piece of tubeing over the end of the plug to help start it before using the wrench on it. Like vacuum tubeing works well, and a tight fit, helps you start it in the threads.. Two, I use a board, 1/2 x 6" and lay it across the rad. and cowl to lay on and work over the engine, plugs are better from the side though.....
Those are definitely good thoughts! Thankfully, I have an AEV snorkel and used it as my seat. It's much more comfortable than the fender wall.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The subject of using anti-seize on spark plugs has good and bad points on both sides. I use stuff designed for spark plus, applied sparingly on the threads. I use it because I've never had a problem with it, and have had problems without it. This is from the 2008 Factory Service Manual regarding spark plug installation: 1. Coat threads of spark plug with anti-seize. Be sure not to get anti-seize ANYWHERE BUT ON THE THREADS OF THE SPARK PLUG.. 2. To avoid cross threading, start the spark plug into the cylinder head by hand. 3. Tighten spark plugs by referring to the Torque Specifications chart. [12 ft./lbs.] 4. Install spark plug cables over spark plugs. A click will be heard and felt when the cable properly attaches to the spark plug. The instructions above state to "coat" the threads with anti-seize. I can't imagine that means to gob it on, so I apply it sparingly. Since the manual expects anti-seize to be used, the torque specification takes that into consideration.
Thanks Ron for the quote out of the service manual.

If it has not been said one other step I do once the plug wire is removed is take a small brush and sweep around the plug for loose bits of dirt, followed buy a shot of compressed air before I remove the plug.

Cheers

Quick Reply: How to change your spark plugs