Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Installation and Pictures of the Smittybilt Oversize Tire Carrier 2743

Old 10-06-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments. I'll give an update after I get miles through the rocks. After a week all is as tight as the day I installed it. I did put a lock on the rear, and that works well too. Nice touch.

As for the lift, I am very pleased with how things have turned out. I pieced it together (from a vendor who I've come to find out is black-listed...a shame they had a rogue employee post in disguise, becuase so many on this forum won't hear about their awesome products ), and I have a very nice flat steering setup. I do have Spidertrax spacers with the stock wheels that give the stance I was after. The track width is great.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

i bought the same tire carrier and MBRP reinforment brackets, I will install soon do you think the hinges will be ok I do open and close mine regularly but would get tired of dealing with a seperate tire carrier latch
Old 10-08-2010, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is the tire secured to the carrier?

It's kind of hard to tell from the pics, but does it just use a single bolt? If it does, it seems like that would be really easy for someone to come by and steal it. Which unfortunately would happen eventually here.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please let us know if/when your stock tailgate hinges give out and if you actually wheel with this or just DD.

You should also get a tailgate holder from Jeep Swag to keep that beast from flinging open accidentally and ripping your gate to shreds.

Last edited by aermotor; 10-08-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hx15537
How is the tire secured to the carrier?

It's kind of hard to tell from the pics, but does it just use a single bolt? If it does, it seems like that would be really easy for someone to come by and steal it. Which unfortunately would happen eventually here.
The tire is secured to the carrier with a single bracket with 3 posts tapered to fit into 3 lug nut locations. The bracket is secured with a large heavy threaded t-style handle, which you can see from the back end. It's a pretty neat way to do it so you don't have to remove 3 lugs...only one piece to remove to access the spare. The tire is very secure.

There are provisions to secure the handle with a lock, which I did, to keep the gutsy from trying to lift your spare...
Old 10-17-2010, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

going to do this at the end of the week....
Old 10-17-2010, 10:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default I like

Thanks for breaking it down, nice to see how easy it can be
Old 10-29-2010, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just got finished completing the Smittybillt Oversized Tire Carrier tonight. I will post pics up tomorrow, because it is dark out. Everything went toghter smoothly, I did have to use one set of spacer on eah side to get the 35'' DuraTrac to hit flushly against the support bars. Nice write-up it really helped and a great mod for the money, I di not really have the extra cash laying around for a new Bumper & Tire Carrier combo.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:31 AM
JK Super Freak

any new news on how the over sized tire carrier holds up for a long period of time? how it takes off road abuse and what not? still thinking about getting it, but just wondering if there's any updates and how its handling having a 35" spare tire on there.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by josh_jacklyn
any new news on how the over sized tire carrier holds up for a long period of time? How it takes off road abuse and what not? Still thinking about getting it, but just wondering if there's any updates and how its handling having a 35" spare tire on there.
x2 - like the idea just not sure 'bout durability

Quick Reply: Installation and Pictures of the Smittybilt Oversize Tire Carrier 2743