Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Installing Cruise Control

Old 09-02-2014, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice writeup..... I am thinking about doing the opposite, removing the cruise control. My daughter had a lanyard on her keychain and it hooked onto the cruise control lever while turning and almost crashed.....lucky for her she was able to break the key off in the ignition and finish the turn. Cruise lever should not turn with the steering wheel but since it does be careful and don't use lanyard keychain if you have cruise control lever.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:23 PM
JK Newbie

Smile Never Mind

Originally Posted by fluke90027
I was wondering if you could please let me know what size the three screws are that attach the cruise control arm to the steering column? I ordered a kit but the company failed to give me the screws to install it with. I have looked online and was unable to find an IPB that displays the screws and part numbers. I also called a local dealership parts store and they also came up empty handed.

Thank you.

BTW thank you for the write up as well.

-Adam
***************** Never mind, I found mdnky's reply to this thread and he posted the screw sizes. Thank you mdnky.

-Adam
Old 05-04-2015, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

This is a great write up. I ordered this from jeepsrus and installed it over my lunch hour at work. Very easy and now I have cruise. Whoohoo!
Old 02-21-2016, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking to add cruise control to mine as well. Is this the correct kit from jeepsareus.com? Mopar Factory Cruise Control 82210216 - JEEPS ARE US

This doesn't include a servo motor for the pedal, so I am assuming that is installed from factory? I have a 2010 Jeep wrangler sport, 2 door. Thanks for any info.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

I know this is an old thread, but it's still very useful to those of us who buy an older wrangler.

I bought my wife a basic X Model a while back, pretty much no extras at all from the factory. Her Wrangler X is a 2009 model. I followed this thread as the OP posted it. I had no issues at all doing this.

We are now driving her 2009 X with Cruise Control No more aching right foot on a long drive.

Last edited by JimMariner; 03-13-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Default Cruise light comes on, but won't hold my speed

Thanks OP for this write-up! I would never have tried this on my own without such a clear write up, but I definitely need cruise since I'll be making 10 hr round trips on weekends next year.

I believe I have everything installed correctly, but it ain't working right... here are my symptoms:

- "Cruise" light comes on when I press the button
- Cruise system won't "hold" my speed.

Troubleshooting:
- I've tried a pretty large combination of slow/fast speeds and high/low gears.
- Initially I didn't get the horn beep when I reconnected the batter, so I tried resetting the ECM by disconnecting the (-), then (+), then reconnecting them in the opposite order. Then I got the beep. Test drove it, and no difference.
- Checked for error codes by turning the key back and forth 3 times in the ignition, and all I get is "-------", then " done ". This is the only time I've been disappointed to have no codes, because now I have no idea what it could be!!!

Any ideas? Might I have damaged the wheel speed sensors when I installed my lift kit? Wouldn't I get error codes for that though? Could it be the part was defective? I ordered from JeepsAreUs, which I thought was pretty reputable. Am I smoking crack?

I'm fresh outta ideas.

Thanks for any help at all!
Old 02-08-2019, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

This post was a great help.

Took me about an hour to finally add cruise control to my 2007 X. I ordered the parts separate as suggested and in 2019 it cost about $100 and some junk bin screws instead of the $300 kit.

As others suggested, I ground a small allen wrench to make a flathead on the short end. Those clips popped out no problem.

One problem you might run into is that apparently Mopar has a new part for the steering wheel cover.
I ordered the 1GA31XDVAA and received a 6KK05XDVAA which had a slightly different design.

You can probably still get the older part, but the new part fit perfectly for me and doesn't look any different once installed.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Default Can Find the Part number to do my wrangler

Looking to use this thread to possibly do my cruise control on my 2009 Jeep Wrangler but can’t find the part numbers to do so. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advanced
Old 10-18-2020, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Jeeppartsareus.com had all of the parts when I ordered mine. It's specific to interior color.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

The Jeeps Are Us link is bad. Here it is:
https://www.jeepsareus.com/

They have the complete MOPAR system.

https://parts.jeepsareus.com/oem-par...-2012-82210216

Be advised that the Rotra cruise control has the correct control lever, but the rest is different. NOT a 1-hour install.
They want you to run wires to the ECM, saw off part of the steering wheel.... a real pain.

Quick Reply: Installing Cruise Control