Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Insulating Hardtop

Old 08-10-2009, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and they have free shipping till the end of the month
Old 08-11-2009, 02:40 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redrunner
There is also now a company that makes insulated panels for the JK hardtop. It is not a sponsored vendor so I can't provide too much detail. I ordered mine just yesterday. The company owner was very responsive (via email and phone) to answer my concerns about the velcro mounting holding up in the heat. He explained he has been in the upholstery business for years and has solved the problem via acrylic-based adhesive. Cost for a two-door JK is $209 (free shipping, no tax if outside CA).

Feel free to private message me and I can give you further details.
For the life of me i cannot figure out why this is such a misconception.

You CAN say what you found & who made it and what you paid and what the website is etc. etc. etc.

There are very few that you cant mention, and they are clearly listed in the FAQ's for the site. *Hint, the FAQ button at the top right of your screen. it looks like this-->

what you cant do is post a direct (clickable) link to the website unless they are a sponsor. that's it, that's all. nothing more complex than that.

Directly fromt the FAQ's
Can I post links or contact information to Manufacturers and/or Vendors who are not sponsors of this forum?
Contrary to what many seem to think, JK-Forum.com and it's sister sites Project-JK.com and MY.Project-JK.com didn't just magically appear on the internet and if it weren't for the help and support of our sponsors, they simply wouldn't exist. And, while we do encourage the open discussion of all products being manufactured or services being offered for the Jeep JK Wrangler, we do not allow contact information such as phone numbers, email addresses or direct links back to manufacturers or vendor unless they are a sponsor of Project-JK.com. Needless to say, any posts containing such information will be edited accordingly.
non sponsor - no clicky
sponsor, clicky ok.

example: hotheadheadliners.com <---perfectly fine to post.

if i made it so you clicked on it and it took you to the site, then it is not ok, and i would have to break the link to make it unclickable.

Does that make sense to everyone?

I have said this hundreds of times but people just cant seem to get it.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 08-11-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I sence a little frustration there. It's understandable I hate feeling like I'm talking to the wall.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
For the life of me i cannot figure out why this is such a misconception.

You CAN say what you found & who made it and what you paid and what the website is etc. etc. etc.

what you cant do is post a direct (clickable) link to the website unless they are a sponsor. that's it, that's all. nothing more complex than that.

non sponsor - no clicky
sponsor, clicky ok.

I have said this hundreds of times but people just cant seem to get it.

Yep, got it Loud and clear! Certainly not attempting to play "I've Got a Secret." For others who have just landed on this thread:

hotheadheadliners.com. Everything you need is there, pictures, phone, email, etc.
I paid $209 for JK two-door (no shipping, no tax since I'm not in CA). Will let you know my impressions after I install.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ordered the 4 door version in Desert Tan which should match my interior. I'll post up once I get it for those who are interested. Great response from the company to my questions.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redrunner
hotheadheadliners.com. Everything you need is there, pictures, phone, email, etc.
I paid $209 for JK two-door (no shipping, no tax since I'm not in CA). Will let you know my impressions after I install.
I received my hotheadliners insulation kit just before this weekend. The kit was mailed UPS and was extremely well packaged with good instructions and absolutely everything needed: template (including tape to hold it up), panels, grease pencil, velcro, etc. A personal handwritten note was on the instructions giving a phone number which told me to call any time with questions. The website now has links to installation videos. So my impression of the quality of the product before and after install is good.

I did not remove the freedom panels to do the front install (this is optional and I did not find it necessary). I ended up installing the rear panel (I have a 2-door) in a different manner than directed by the instructions. Instructions say to tape up the provided template, mark where the velcro is to be attached with grease pencil, remove velcro half from the panel, remove adhesive backing from velcro, fasten velcro half to the roof, then install panel by sticking its velcro half to that on the roof. I instead installed the back panel similar to the way the front is installed. I wedged the back panel between the soundbar and the roof, had someone in the jeep help me hold it steady. Let it flex down from the roof far enough for me to remove all the velcro adhesive backing, then stuck the panel to the roof. Went on without a hitch. It is not necessary to remove the hardtop to install the panels, however, if your top is allready off, it is an ideal time to install.

Today, it is cloudy in MD so I can't give any impression on how it controls heat buildup (my reason for install), but I have noticed lower roadnoise in the cabin with the windows closed. I can't quantify it, but lower noise level is noticeable. I wouldn't test it out today anyways as the instructions say to keep it out of the sun and intense heat for 24 hours until the glue cures.

I'm not including pictures because those on the website are as good as anything I can take.

UPDATE (8-30-09): I have driven the Jeep this past week in MD heat. It was oppressively hot and humid here this past week. I have no before install/after install temperature measurements, but I can say the interior is noticeably cooler since the install of the panels. Further, after the AC is run, I do not have that heat around my head that I used to have even as the rest of the vehicle began to cool. The panels feel the same temperature to the touch as other interior components, such as the seats.

Last edited by redrunner; 08-30-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:45 AM
MD5
JK Newbie

I'm also interested on this product, could you please better describe the insulating ? Is something reflective or only a kind of foamy layer ?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Default Hot head colors posted

I checked his website and the color options are posted along with the recommeded colors for the blk/grey int and the khaki int color scheme.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MD5
I'm also interested on this product, could you please better describe the insulating ? Is something reflective or only a kind of foamy layer ?
I do not know what the insulating material is, it is covered with a "headliner" fabric and their is some pad-like material under. You could email Mark Ambrose and see what he says.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wanted to post an update. I got my Hot Head Headliners in a few days ago. The install was fairly easy. You use a paper template for the middle and rear pieces (this is on an unlimited) and the front pieces just lay in place. There are you tube videos on the company website which go over the install process.

Once I had the rooftop velcro in place I installed the panels. I had no problems with the initial install and they have stayed in place just fine. I had the jeep parked outside for several hours in the sun. Temp was 90 today and the inside was noticeably cooler when I got in.

It also seems like the headliners enhance the sound of the stereo, seems like the bass has a little more punch. This is with the Infinity system.

At this point I would definitely recommend these, especially if you're like me and don't have the time or desire to do the homemade mod.

Quick Reply: Insulating Hardtop