Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Jeep Grill Wall Art Write-Up

Old 08-12-2014, 06:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jeep Grill Wall Art Write-Up

Well guys, I've decided to start a little project. I picked this 1977 CJ5 grill up last Sunday and I'm going to turn it into a wall light. I've seen a couple people that have done this before, and I decided to try my hand at it. The paint was pretty bad looking, but I wanted it it to have a little more character, so I'm in the process of rusting it up nicely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00606_hA6hNtreGtX_600x450.jpg
Views:	1911
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	570794

I started the project by using some 100 grit sandpaper and roughing up edges and random areas of the grill, making sure to bring most spots down to bare steel. I then used 150 grit sand paper, then finally 220 grit sand paper over the entire grill. I finished by using a soapy SOS steel wool pad and thoroughly cleaned the grill.

Now here's the fun part, making the grill rusty. It can sometimes take weeks if not months to attain a nice rusty patina naturally if you leave the steel outside in the elements, but I don't feel like waiting that long, so I found a nice way of flash rusting metal online.

Hydrogen peroxide, white vinegar, and salt. Mix these ingredients up in a spray bottle and spray liberally. Instant rust. You can literally watch the metal rust as you're spraying it.

I sprinkled the grill with salt afterwards to help with the corrosion, and I've repeated these steps for the last 2 days.

I plan to leave the grill outside for a few days in the terrible weather we're having lately in hopes that the rust will penetrate the metal a little better.

I'll post some pictures of the grill as it is now later on today when I get home, and I'll post the write up of the LEDs for the lights when I get to that step.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

Here's the grill after the rusting process.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3284018719.jpg
Views:	1435
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	570804  
Old 08-12-2014, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool idea
Old 08-12-2014, 12:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Flex4
Cool idea
Thanks! I've seen it done before, but I've never seen anyone distress theirs or explain how they mounted their lights. Once I get the LEDs I'm looking for, I'll post a write up on the installation. I'm thinking of going battery operated so that it won't have a cord hanging down.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:25 PM
JK Freak

Subscribed. Keep the thread updated please because this is way cool

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2014, 12:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by centerfieldr162
Subscribed. Keep the thread updated please because this is way cool Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
I sure will! Thanks a lot!
Old 08-12-2014, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is cool, but the Jeep lover in me is crying a little bit to see an old grill get messed up lol
Old 08-12-2014, 01:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by xrayjeeper83
This is cool, but the Jeep lover in me is crying a little bit to see an old grill get messed up lol
Haha! It came from a scrap CJ5 if that makes you feel any better. If anything, I'm giving it a home on my wall so it doesn't end up as scrap metal. I'm dying to get my hands on an old Willys grill though. I hope to have a grill from each Jeep on my wall one day.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

Alright, just purchased these LED lights online. Warm clear: Set of 20 Battery Operated Warm Clear LED Wide Angle Christmas Lights White Wire: Christmas Decor : Walmart.com
and orange: Set of 20 Battery Operated Orange LED Wide Angle Christmas Lights Green Wire: Christmas Decor : Walmart.com

I'm going with the warm clear lights for the headlights. They're supposed to give off a candlelight type color. I've seen people use bright white LEDs in these projects, but that just seems stupid for an older Jeep grill. The orange lights are obviously for the turn signals. They're both battery powered, so I can tuck the battery case behind the grill.

I've already marked the back glass of the lights. I'm thinking 5-6 bulbs in each headlight, bulbs siliconed in, and 3-4 lights in the turn signals. The rest of the unused lights behind the grill will be removed so that only the headlights and turn signals are lit.

I still need to purchase a diamond coated drill bit so that I don't crack or shatter the glass when drilling into it. However, I'd like to get the lights first so that guessing the size bit I need isn't an issue.

Last edited by MrChuckles; 08-12-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Well, I started drilling holes into the backs of the lights but I ended up cracking one light pretty bad so I'm just going to order 2 more lights and start again. I'm using a diamond coated hole bit and drilling these holes takes forever! I'll update everyone on the process as soon as the new lights come in.

Quick Reply: Jeep Grill Wall Art Write-Up