Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Jeep jk wrangler 730n/rhr radio installation write-up

Old 10-23-2015, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WxNerd2015
Oh man! I just realized that I did that! Yes, your are right! All the JKs should be High Speed Can-Bus systems! They are not compatible with the Low Speed Can-Bus systems! You are 100% correct! I guess I must have mixed up that little tidbit since I actually did the install as it has been over a year since I did it! My apologies! Here are a few good sights for parts numbers that do in fact work for all Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler/Ram Vehicles for the MyGig systems:

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - 2011 Grand Cherokee Navigation radios
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - MyGIG Multimedia Infotainment System radios
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - MyGIG Multimedia Infotainment System - parts

The big changes were the combination of the of the satellite/GPS antenna in 2011 and the upgraded radio from the RER (07-10) to the RHR (11+). I can't believe that I messed that one up! I have now fixed the main post that discusses that as well in the forum too so no one gets messed up on that! Thanks for pointing that out!
Haha I figured! Now I have to sell this low speed unit i bought and get me a high speed one. I actually prefer an RER beacuse I have sirius wired in my vehicle and want to install the gps under the dash top. It just seems easier that way. Any suggestions otherwise?
Old 10-23-2015, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by albertmald9
Haha I figured! Now I have to sell this low speed unit i bought and get me a high speed one. I actually prefer an RER beacuse I have sirius wired in my vehicle and want to install the gps under the dash top. It just seems easier that way. Any suggestions otherwise?
Sorry about that one! That was absolutely my bad on that! Yeah, for your application, I think the simplest and easiest way to go it the RER! Otherwise you have to deal with extra connectors and splitters and all that which is just extra hassle and extra clutter behind the dash! That is definitely the way to go for you! Nope, I think I have given all the possible suggestions that I can think of! Let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 10-26-2015, 03:07 PM
JK Super Freak

So I'm looking at buying a 2015 with the 130 radio and would like to do similar conversion. How does the mic compare to the factory? I haven't paid attention to where the mic is on factory set up and whether it is integrated into A pillar or not.
Thanks
Old 10-26-2015, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kidjeep
So I'm looking at buying a 2015 with the 130 radio and would like to do similar conversion. How does the mic compare to the factory? I haven't paid attention to where the mic is on factory set up and whether it is integrated into A pillar or not.
Thanks
The mic would be integrated into the A-Pillar, you can search on google images for UConnect mic location on the 2015 Wrangler, and you will get plenty of pics showing where it is. I have not had a chance to compare what I have, to the factory style and location, however, I am sure if you get it from the factory in the expected location, it should work pretty well as they have tested found found the location they found best suitable. My mic kit that I have is a UConnect mic kit, meant specifically for the same application and plugs directly into the back of the radio and activates the UConnect in the 730! My mic is located directly behind the center dash tray on the top of the dash, right at the base of the windshield. This is typically where the Sun Sensor goes if you have automatic headlights and/or Automatic Temperature Control, which I am looking to add soon, so my mic may move, but it has worked perfect in that location! I have had no one complain about not being able to hear more or any bad wind noise or anything like that! I even carried on a conversation at 60 MPH with the top off and the other person had no clue that there was even a bunch of wind buffeting through the Jeep! I have also seen others who have mounted on the plastic trim above the windshield, to the left side of the windshield, or they got the factory connect mic panel and retro fitted that into their Jeep! I went with one of the easier options as I ended up not having to run wires anywhere almost, and its just double sided 3M tape which holds it there, but I works great and looks OEM, like it was meant to be there all along!

One other warning though, if you get UConnect in the Jeep from the factory, you will have a separate UConnect module installed, as the 730 is no longer a manufacturer option on the Wrangler anymore, and the 130 and 430 need an external module, but the 730 has it built in, so that is just extra equipment you would not need, but if you do get it from the factory installed on your Jeep, then you will already have the UConnect buttons installed on the steering wheel, ready to go! Your choice on that!

Hope that helps you and gives you the information ya need to make a good choice for ya! IMO, you can get the radio and the mic kit that I have for cheaper than the UConnect option would be on the Jeep itself most likely! Good Luck picking! Let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 11-04-2015, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bill Poindexter

If you ever have an issue with your stock 730n or any other stock gps nav radio call this guy. Bill Poindexter
238 Arbor Shores North
Newnan, GA 30265
678-596-4549
678-675-0149

He replaced my screen that started flaking. Touch screen did not work. I drive with top off a lot and sun took its toll. He also cam set up cams for it play movies while in drive and do some trick stuff with maps. I used him on my 2012 730n and got great results.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bfdfreddie
If you ever have an issue with your stock 730n or any other stock gps nav radio call this guy. Bill Poindexter
238 Arbor Shores North
Newnan, GA 30265
678-596-4549
678-675-0149

He replaced my screen that started flaking. Touch screen did not work. I drive with top off a lot and sun took its toll. He also cam set up cams for it play movies while in drive and do some trick stuff with maps. I used him on my 2012 730n and got great results.
Thanks! Great to know! Especially since these aren't cheap and the dealer would be no help! I've heard so many times already that you can do that because the engineers say it is an illegal modification, and we won't give you any info, and if you do it, we will not touch it! Even though it is an OEM part with no custom work done! Thanks for the contact there!
Old 11-24-2015, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WxNerd2015
Thanks! Great to know! Especially since these aren't cheap and the dealer would be no help! I've heard so many times already that you can do that because the engineers say it is an illegal modification, and we won't give you any info, and if you do it, we will not touch it! Even though it is an OEM part with no custom work done! Thanks for the contact there!
No problem glad to help as I always get help off here.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Uconnect Steering Wheel Controls

Well, I realized that i haven't added to this thread in a while, and I actually had something more to add! So, just wanted to add in the information about upgrading the EVIC switch on the left side of the steering wheel! I was able to upgrade mine from the switch with only 2 buttons ("Step" and "Reset"), to the 6 button switch for the EVIC! Everything worked perfectly plug and play for me! And remind you, I didn't have any connectivity package in the rig at all, and all the wiring was already existent there! It also fixed my issue with the "STEP" button not working! Here are some pics of the switch and the swap!

Part Number is 56046405AB

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160809_091446.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	660039

Name:	20160809_091441.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	660040

Name:	20160809_091415.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	660041

Name:	20160809_091400.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	660042

Name:	20160822_171629.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	660035

Name:	20160822_171638.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	660036

Name:	20160822_202250.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	4.25 MB
ID:	660038

Name:	20160822_202300.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	660037

Everything, including the lighting, the expected functions, fit, plug, all working with no issue at all! The swap was one of the easiest things and only took about 15-20 minutes! There are some other threads and YouTube videos out there onhow to get into the steering wheel, but extremely simple! Very glad I did it! The two arrow buttons are just dummy switches and do not do anything as I do not currently have the premium EVIC, but the menu and compass buttons take on the role of "STEP" and "RESET", and the Uconnect VR and Phone buttons work exactly how they should with the radio! Highly recommend doing this swap!
Old 06-22-2017, 09:18 AM
SKT
JK Newbie

Just found this thread and glad I did - so much great info!

Thanks for taking the time to share.

How is the 730N holding up? Anything you would have done differently?

Old 06-22-2017, 10:05 AM
JK Freak

Default Radio Install

Now that I came upon this fantastic write-up, I'm almost ready to bite the Bullet! My last Wrangler had the touch screen radio and I don't have one in my new Wrangler. The touch screen is one of the things I miss the most. I have the standard radio with satellite and at times, cannot even read the screen for time! ( don't get old !) Your write up is excellent and I will follow it on my install.
Thanx!

Quick Reply: Jeep jk wrangler 730n/rhr radio installation write-up