Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

JK Rubicon E-Swaybar Disconnect Mod

Old 08-17-2015, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sway Bar lock open

Hi all,
This may be covered somewhere but I can't find it. I went Jeeping yesterday and My E-sway-bar is flashing at me and appears stuck in the Open disconnected position. I tried unplugging it thinking that it requires current to open and would default back to close, but that did not work. Any thoughts before I unscrew it to look for broken parts?

thanks
Old 08-17-2015, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flashing usually means that it has lost communication with the system. If it were solid it would be in the open/disconnected position. Try unplugging it at the sway bar (there is a large gray connector) that is a pain to get to. But disconnect it, check for water and clean it if necessary. Reconnect and see what happens. This is your first step. Report back and I can guide you through more of it.
The following users liked this post:
Cjcain (01-18-2018)
Old 08-17-2015, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Flashing usually means that it has lost communication with the system. If it were solid it would be in the open/disconnected position. Try unplugging it at the sway bar (there is a large gray connector) that is a pain to get to. But disconnect it, check for water and clean it if necessary. Reconnect and see what happens. This is your first step. Report back and I can guide you through more of it.
Right I have done that twice both times shaking the jeep hopping the pin would reengage. No Luck there.

thanks
Old 08-17-2015, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

Did you also disconnect your battery for 10 min? Try that too.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but when this happened to me, my sway bar control module had to be replaced. It was fried. Also sent my jeep into limp mode.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Did you also disconnect your battery for 10 min? Try that too.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but when this happened to me, my sway bar control module had to be replaced. It was fried. Also sent my jeep into limp mode.
thanks
I shall get out a big hammer and start going LOL
Old 08-17-2015, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My swaybar also failed in the open position. I found the only way to get it to connect again was to remove the swaybar and remove the bolts holding the two halves together. As soon as the two halves started to separate, I could hear the clock spring unwind which slides the collar back into the connected position.

Found the insides to be a mess from water and corrosion which I cleaned out and then applied new grease. Next time I tried to disconnect, it worked but once again, wouldn't re-connect.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-disco nightmare is over

When mine failed, it just quit working. I did an electronic bypass with wiring and a switch from OTRATTW, worked great for awhile then stopped, upon inspection the cheap stuff in the plunger broke apart, damn. So; I'm pulling the pin and have the EVO manual disconnect coming in. What I'm wandering is, the bid damn plug and harness from the stock system is still hanging below the engine bay zip-tied up. The sway bar light is already on (I will be getting a pro-cal to shut it off), what will happen if I cut that big ugly thing off and seal up the end of the wiring harness it was attached to? Don't want it to throw some stupid code. Input thoughts please.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by baileyj
When mine failed, it just quit working. I did an electronic bypass with wiring and a switch from OTRATTW, worked great for awhile then stopped, upon inspection the cheap stuff in the plunger broke apart, damn. So; I'm pulling the pin and have the EVO manual disconnect coming in. What I'm wandering is, the bid damn plug and harness from the stock system is still hanging below the engine bay zip-tied up. The sway bar light is already on (I will be getting a pro-cal to shut it off), what will happen if I cut that big ugly thing off and seal up the end of the wiring harness it was attached to? Don't want it to throw some stupid code. Input thoughts please.
If you cut it shorter nothing will happen UNLESS there are two wires in the connector "jumpered" together. This means those wires "may" serve another purpose in that circuit or possibly another. Just look at/in the connector. Of course all that I've just said may not matter if the procal shuts it all down. Maybe someone who has done this can comment.

Last edited by jkrubcon; 02-27-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:18 AM
JK Freak

Nothing bad happens. I cut the plug off and just put electrical tape over the ends (individually) and called it a day. Turned off the blinking light with the Procal. It has been this way for almost 2 years and all is well. The wires don't serve any other purpose.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any way to turn off the light with a Superchips flash pack?

Quick Reply: JK Rubicon E-Swaybar Disconnect Mod