Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

JK Throttle Body Removal/Cleaning

Old 11-29-2009, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious if this would be possible to do without taking the throttle body off? Could you just take the air tube off and clean the butterfly and the inner walls.

On my old TJ's and the wifes GC, I always just take the air tube off, grab the TB Cleaner, old tooth brush, and an old cloth and just spray, scrub, and wipe till clean. Seems to do the trick every time. Just haven't had the nerve yet with some many sensors attached to the parts.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nothing scientific but I had been averaging 15 MPH highway over 1,600 miles between Chicago and Pittsburgh over the month - Since cleaning I am averaging between 16.5 and 17 - Traveled 560 miles since cleaning.

Wind...hills...luck - not sure but mileage is up a bit. Returning to Chicago in a few weeks and I will again monitor and report.

Used both GPS and odometer to monitor mileage - margin of error based on fuel pumps and when various ones will shut off. But the same assumptions were present before and after cleaning.

Regardless - it does idle better as it used to be rough!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:05 AM
JK Freak

Talking

Thank you OP- Awesome write-up and pix

I didn't have any idle issues, but figured "why not?" As you can see, the back of mine looked pretty darn funky (that's what she said) I haven't driven it yet, so i can't comment on any possible differences.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

im goin to do this rite now thanx for the write up
Old 12-04-2009, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Default I did it

There is a funny story here, but the shortened version is I did it it worked and have noticed 1MPG more at least on this tank.

the funny part is the dealer was actually right it did stall out and would not run afterwords, I had to turn it off and on a couple times I was sweating my A&* off thinking I should have listened to them. What I think happened was I had my key in the ignition because I was listening to the radio while I was working on it. duh. oh well lesson learned TAKE YOUR KEY OUT OR THE COMPUTER WILL THINK YOU JUST HAD A FAILURE OF YOUR TB AND PUT YOUR JEEP IN SAFE MODE!!!!

I am not even sure why cleaning it works, but it does appear to be giving me better milage. I am getting 17.5 on this tank. If I could keep that up I will be happy.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As good future practice

Anytime you are planning on working on your vehicle that requires having to disconnect an electrical connection......ALWAYS disconnect the battery. All it takes is something stupid like a static shock on the wrong connection termnal to fry an ECU. Plus having your ignition turned on while having things disconnected is almost a sure fire way to cause the ECU to wig out and start throwing codes.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

OK, so if the TB looks that bad, how bad does everything behind it look?
Old 12-05-2009, 09:30 AM
JK Junkie

when I did mine about a year ago, I bought MOPAR throttle body cleaner.. follow the directions on the can. all you do is remove the big fat hose coming from the air cleaner box, open the flap with your finger and spray... I personally tore the sleeve off of an old t-shirt sprayed some on the shirt and cleaned the rear of the flap a little harder... then I sprayed the rest of the can in there...

put the hose back on, and presto. started it up and it ran good.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by racer83l
when I did mine about a year ago, I bought MOPAR throttle body cleaner.. follow the directions on the can. all you do is remove the big fat hose coming from the air cleaner box, open the flap with your finger and spray... I personally tore the sleeve off of an old t-shirt sprayed some on the shirt and cleaned the rear of the flap a little harder... then I sprayed the rest of the can in there...

put the hose back on, and presto. started it up and it ran good.
Damn...and I thought I was being original and clever by not taking the whole assembly off!

I ended up taking care of this this morning. Took about 10 minutes. Mine wasn't near as bad as some, but hey, I'm sure anything will still be an improvement!

Thanks for the write-up!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:26 AM
JK Freak

Wow glad I found this thread. Good write up.

Quick Reply: JK Throttle Body Removal/Cleaning