Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Kargo master install

Old 03-02-2008, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fit Issues w/ link for photos

I installed mine yesterday, but was not happy with the fit. I took the front apart again to see if I can adjust anything to make it fit better... no luck. Looks like I'll be phoning Kargo master tomorrow...

Photos here...

http://my.project-jk.com/showgallery...=1070&ppuser=0
Old 03-02-2008, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's just the rack. PM me with an offer.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default Tilting Congo Cage

Mine did not come with the "prop rod" that's shown in the instructions. I need to call them about that too.

Without the prop rod, it will tilt back until it shears off the license plate holder! The big problem I see, is being able to bolt it back down after I mess with the soft top. The way the fit is right now, you need a person at each front leg to REALLY, REALLY, REALLY push back hard to be able to get the front bolt to line up to the bottom of the legs.

http://my.project-jk.com/showgallery...=1070&ppuser=0

Kinda disappointed ... after all the waiting from Kargo Master

Paolo
Old 03-02-2008, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just sent a message to Kargo Master suggesting that they do a voluntary recall. I suggested some ways for them to fix the rack, but until they fix these issues, they should do themselves the favor of re-purchasing the ones they have hurriedly sold us. It might help if a bunch of other people send the same message...hint, hint, hint!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Oh boy, are all of these 4 doors that are having problems? I'm in the middle of my 2 door install. I've got front and back mounting hardware installed and I'm going to build the cage after work tomorrow. So far so good. I'll post pics when done. Oh yeah, no prop rod here either.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

Well used the rack today had a couple pieces of 4x8 plywood strapped to the top. Drove it back in a 20knt cross wind at 50 and worked out well. Im pretty happy about that.
But yeah the fit aint as good as I though. Im gonna keep the rack cause I dont like drilling into the body like the other ones do. BUT if another comes along Im gonna get rid of the Kargo master and buy the other.
Dont think youll make much headway with a recall. there are no safety issues so there really isnt any reason for them to do it except for business issues. If they cared about that they would have put out a better product in the first place
Glenn
Old 03-03-2008, 12:07 AM
JK Freak

polocruz

i had the same problem as you. all you need to do is rotate the leg until it fits flush. the holes won't line up but just drill new ones. have to push mine front legs hard to mount front. i drilled a steel bumper to mount mine. and no rod. seems like if the liscence plate wasn't there i could have mounted farther back. and the front would be exactly were it needs to be.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:22 AM
JK Freak

Default give it a second, there's a few pics

i don't mean to hijack this thread but here are my install pics, just never did write up.

i found my package when i arrived home at 4 in the morning, thought i'd check it out and set stuff up for next day, ended up staying up and putting it together.

i could figure out how to remount my lights so it sat in the yard for a couple of days. i drove around like this

then i took off the mount bolt to the light, and attached the u mount to the kongo mount with a hex bolt.

now i look like this

the lights are a little too far inside for my taste, i'm thinking i'll get 2 more and mount them up top on the front of the cage. i am gong to be making a basket soon. i think.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default Congo Cage Update

For what it's worth, Marcellas from Kargo Master e-mailed me today and asked me to measure the center hole to hole dimension on the bars that I suspect are too long. For the record, mine is 78-1/8" .... not that I'm bragging or anything

It wouldn't be a big deal it I could easily force the bolt though the mounting bracket, but I had to "kick off" against the front tire to get enough leverage to force the front legs enough to get the bolt on. It's not really something I want to wrestle with regularly... I usually have to raise/lower the soft top every couple of weeks...

Yes, I thought about drilling another set of holes to connect the passenger side leg to the header, but i figured I'd let Kargo Master take a shot at it.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Do you mean the top bars that travel the length of the jeep? Cutting em shorter or drilling another hole would make the fit easier but it would still be a pain to raise/lower the rack.
I think they need to shorten the bars and also angle the front bars back more (or angle the top section back some). If you do that you could use a quick release on the front bar to top bend section and make things alot easer and quicker.
Glenn

Quick Reply: Kargo master install