Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Line X prep for JKU and more

Old 11-25-2014, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After Christmas, I'm doing this to my two door. I'll be using the rattle can Rustoleum stuff. I used ii on a couple other toys and really like how it's turned out. Besides disconnecting the battery, masking and taping things off, are there any other words of advice/things to plug or not remove?
Old 11-25-2014, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK505
After Christmas, I'm doing this to my two door. I'll be using the rattle can Rustoleum stuff. I used ii on a couple other toys and really like how it's turned out. Besides disconnecting the battery, masking and taping things off, are there any other words of advice/things to plug or not remove?
It's all about the prep work, take your time. I took all the black goop off that's on the back seat floor and in the trunk area for a more smoother look. (Biggest pain). Unplug under seats for removal too. But sand acetone sand and acetone.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by spvella6
It's all about the prep work, take your time. I took all the black goop off that's on the back seat floor and in the trunk area for a more smoother look. (Biggest pain). Unplug under seats for removal too. But sand acetone sand and acetone.
I appreciate it. I have pretty much no painting experience when it comes to vehicles and I've never done anything as important as my jeep so I really don't want to mess this up. I've got torches and various extremely hot tools I'm sure will turn the goop into butter.

I assume the plugs under the seat are pretty straight forward? Also, very dumb question... Does Lowe's/Home depot sell acetone?
Old 11-25-2014, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK505
I appreciate it. I have pretty much no painting experience when it comes to vehicles and I've never done anything as important as my jeep so I really don't want to mess this up. I've got torches and various extremely hot tools I'm sure will turn the goop into butter. I assume the plugs under the seat are pretty straight forward? Also, very dumb question... Does Lowe's/Home depot sell acetone?
Yeah two clips are like the ones how you remove the door slide pin and then pull to detach. If I remember correct one of them is a pain in the ass for some reason but not sure hahah.
Perfect just heat that stuff up and then I used a vibrating multi tool to scrape it off.
I'm sure they do. It's just a stronger mineral sprits.
I have some pics of my process on the 5th page Of this thread too.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by spvella6
Yeah two clips are like the ones how you remove the door slide pin and then pull to detach. If I remember correct one of them is a pain in the ass for some reason but not sure hahah.
Perfect just heat that stuff up and then I used a vibrating multi tool to scrape it off.
I'm sure they do. It's just a stronger mineral sprits.
I have some pics of my process on the 5th page Of this thread too.
Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll have to go back and look at those. Time to start ripping carpets out!

(Can you sell the carpets? I imagine the market is almost nonexistent. What'd you guys do with yours?)
Old 11-25-2014, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

You could also use MEK ( methyl ethyl ketone) if you can't find acetone. They are both strong solvents. MEK evaporates slower than acetone and that is sometimes an advantage in cleaning a surface.

Quick Reply: Line X prep for JKU and more