Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Made my own Mikeybilt Tailgate Table/Molle Rack!

Old 01-20-2015, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Made my own Mikeybilt Tailgate Table/Molle Rack!

Wave to All!

I have been going back and forth on getting a Smittybilt GEAR Tailgate holder, but also wanted a table for my tailgate. However, spending $65 on the GEAR system and another $100+ for a table setup is beyond my financial capacity...and I'm cheap. So...I built my own.

Many times, when my family and I go on trails, in the snow, or camping, the kids climb in the back to hang out/eat and I'm left standing at the back. Too many times, I've had a size 3 in my samich and I'm tired of it!! So, my angst led me to this solution.

I built the "Mikeybilt Tailgate Module" out of everyday parts I got from local stores. Overall cost was around $25-$30 depending on what you have already.

What I got for the build was:
1) 11.8" x 23.8" black shelf ($6 at Home Depot, black)
2) Magnetic strip ($5 at Harbor Freight)
3) 2 hinges ($3 at Harbor Freight)
4) #8 finishing washers and screws ($8 at Orchard, 3 washer bags of 8=24 total)
5) 9' of 2" webbing ($5 at REI)
And I had the velcro, 550 paracord, zipties, and patches

Everything together ( I did not use the Neodymium magnets after all):

Shelf:

Magnetic Strip:

Washers:

First, I mounted the hinges to the bottom of the shelf on equal sides to make it horizontal. Then, I drilled two holes on both sides for the 550 paracord to go through. I used zipties to mount the hinges to the topmost vent slit on the tailgate. I want to make sure this will be usefull before I actually drill holes in my tailgate. The zipties are quite strong and they do not rattle once tight. I tied the paracord to the bottom side of the shelf equally on both sides and affixed it under the black plastic cover on the tailgate.

Next, I centered and attached the magnetic strip on the top of the shelf. I put velcro on the magnetic strip to help with rattling and ease of getting it off the tailgate (it's quite strong).

The magnetic strip contacts the tailgate metal just above the black plastic molding. This holds quite strong and the table rests a bit on the black plastic...perfect!

Then, I got my 2" black webbing and cut three equal pieces and burned the ends.

I then drilled equal holes on both sides of the board starting at 4.5", to 9.5" from the tailgate side of the table. This is where the screws/washers will go to hold down the webbing:

Then, I doubled up on the webbing and drilled the screws/washers through the webbing into the pilot holes. Two screws per webbing an inch apart.

Next, I fastened a few more washers to the front/bottom of the table to add more stability, tautness and support.

After this, I attached some molle pouches, a strip of velcro for my patches (we don' need no stink'in patches!)

It is very sturdy and strong and does not rattle at all. I'm pretty stoked with my $25 ingeniuty!

If you want more pics, please ask!
Old 01-21-2015, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. I'm thinking of doing this at some point exept use a sheet of aluminum instead of the shelf and just rivet every thing together. I'm even thinking you could cut up a cheap air soft vest or something and screw that on for a more sturdy molle pouch attachment.

Last edited by MotoJeeper; 01-21-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks great! I'll add it to the list of cheap mods directory
Old 01-22-2015, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ChairRepairHeatnAir
Nice. I'm thinking of doing this at some point exept use a sheet of aluminum instead of the shelf and just rivet every thing together. I'm even thinking you could cut up a cheap air soft vest or something and screw that on for a more sturdy molle pouch attachment.
Hey, that's not a bad idea either. You can often find those Molle vests on CL for cheapo. And some come with pouches built into the vest! I like it!

Originally Posted by Vladimer
That looks great! I'll add it to the list of cheap mods directory
Thanks, even with the brainstorming, prep and production it took about 1-2hrs. But I was taking my time.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is where it's at right now. The only aluminum I could find was diamond plate, but it was painted already so I can deal with it. I can cover it up when I decide to get a cheap molle vest. I riveted it a little too low so I had to cut the plastic cover to get the magnet to stick. It cost me $60 including the rivet gun and 120 assorted rivets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150125_143338.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	593598
Old 01-25-2015, 11:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's my DIY table...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000094.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	593628Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000095.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	593629Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000097.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	593630Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000102.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	593631Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000169.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	593632

I like how people approach these projects in different ways.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

Wow! Nice work!
Old 01-25-2015, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Great job Gentlemen!! Love the ideas and alternatives to the mod!!

I used my table this weekend for a Search and Rescue event and it worked great! Made and then had my morning coffee and breakfast on it!

Keep the ideas coming! Login the ingenuity.

AoM

Quick Reply: Made my own Mikeybilt Tailgate Table/Molle Rack!