Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Marker light mod

Old 11-17-2007, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marker light mod

Okay, as mentioned later in this thread, all you do is snip the black wire coming off the side marker and tap it into the outmost white/brown wire that leads to the blinker. Ya, exactly....it should have come from the factory this way.

Check out the pic....it's worth a thousand words on how I got in there and did it. It's really simple and probably even easier since I had the grille off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	25478
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	4311  

Last edited by seal20; 03-22-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:29 PM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by seal20
I thought the marker lights on our JKs would be more well served as a blinker too. Well, I came up with a compromise to make the marker lights blinkers which is more useful during day and night as well as a safety issue, in my opinion.

So, I snipped the white/green wire coming off the marker light and connected it to the out most white/brown wire on the front blinker (the ones mounted on the grille) using a scotch splicer thing. BAM!!! side blinkers...The only downfall, if you can call it that, is that I no longer have a solid marker light at night, which is kinda lame on a vehicle that's like 10ft long, I have a 2 door.

Check out the pic....it's worth a thousand words on how I got in there and did it. It's really simple and probably even easier since I had the grille off.
There is an article on Daniel Sterns web site under tech that explains how to do this so the marker lights stay lighted solid unless the blinker is on.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dsy
There is an article on Daniel Sterns web site under tech that explains how to do this so the marker lights stay lighted solid unless the blinker is on.
You know what....I will try this tomorrow and see if it works. I think it will!!! Thant would be AWESOME! Thanks for the post...have you tried it? Has anyone tried it with success?
Old 11-18-2007, 12:11 AM
JK Freak

i tried wiring mine, following daniel stern's directions. i got the same result as you. maybe i did it wrong (i don't think so though) but mine wouldn't stay solid either. it just turned it into a blinker.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Checked out the D. Stearn site . Gonna wire it up tomorrow
Old 11-18-2007, 10:54 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Yes I can confirm it works great... cut the black wire going to the side marker light and add in a piece of stranded wire long enough to reach to the back of the front turn sig/running light combo. should not need more than about 8".
On the turn sig/running socket there will be 3 wires going into it. One black and then two white ones with colored stripes. Its been awhile since I did mine so I don't remember which colored stripe it was but I know it was not the center wire. Tap the black wire from the side marker into the white wire farthest from the black wire on the front socket. Dang that sounds confusing but it works.
You dont really need to unplug any of the connectors to do this. Just peel the wire loom back enough to make your cut and splice.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:56 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mcnaught6
i tried wiring mine, following daniel stern's directions. i got the same result as you. maybe i did it wrong (i don't think so though) but mine wouldn't stay solid either. it just turned it into a blinker.
you must have cut the white insted of the black from the marker light
Old 11-18-2007, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

so, you completely cut the black wire (from the fender light) and run it to the white wire on the front turn signal light, splicing it into that wire.
it isn't a splice into the black wire, but completely cutting it?

is this correct? and this will make the side marker (on the fender) not only stay lit when the headlights are on, but it will also flash as a turn signal?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:56 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mcnaught6
so, you completely cut the black wire (from the fender light) and run it to the white wire on the front turn signal light, splicing it into that wire.
it isn't a splice into the black wire, but completely cutting it?

is this correct? and this will make the side marker (on the fender) not only stay lit when the headlights are on, but it will also flash as a turn signal?
Yes that is correct... cut the black going to the side marker and tap that into the outside white wire on the front turn sig. It does work as both marker and turn sig then. Durnig the day the side fender light will function as a turn sig and when the running lights are on the side fender lights will be solid until you turn on the turn sig then they flash. Have no idea why they dont come wired from the factory like this.
Pretty dumb.

Last edited by dsy; 11-18-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Noooo! Not the red wire!!!

BOOM ! ! !

Quick Reply: Marker light mod