Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Marker light mod

Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by valovic
I performed the mod on my 2012 yesterday and it work great. On the left side I connected the black wire from the side marker light to the White/Brown wire to the front light. On the right side it was the black wire from the marker light to the White/pink wire on the front light. In both cases it is the wire on the outside opposite the black wire. If you need a photo I could take one.

I cut my marker light wires way up near the connector located behind the headlight, and then tapped into the other wires up under the wire loom. I soldered the connections and put the loom back over it and it looks nice and neat, and the splice is covered over by the wire loom.

I did notice that when I was wireing it up, and I tried to test it, it will not work if you have any of the bulbs unplugged. I had the front running light unplugged, and wanted to see if the marker lite was wired up correctly and it did not work, until I plugged everything back together.
Im gonna try this 2morrow. U have pics
Old 08-13-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enzo319
Im gonna try this 2morrow. U have pics
I don't ahve any pics, I can get some but it will be awhile
Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Default Side marker light change

Man, I love free stuff...Nice mod, took about 15 min, more practical than side markers...thanks all for the tips
Old 08-15-2012, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just did mine and everything works fine BUT the check engine light is on. Checked it with my Superchips and it says ambient temperature sensor - any suggestions?
Old 08-15-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moalder
Just did mine and everything works fine BUT the check engine light is on. Checked it with my Superchips and it says ambient temperature sensor - any suggestions?
I figured it out. I pinched the wire for the sensor when I clipped the grill back on. Straightened it back out, taped it neatly and used my superchips to clear the code. It's all good now!
Old 08-16-2012, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did the mod today and stupidly cut the white wire completely through. When I connected everything back up the only time the front signal bulbs come on is when I have the parking lights or headlights turned on. They don't signal or come on with hazards. When I signal the signal flasher signals in normal speed then after a few seconds it blinks really fast. When I hit the lock/unlock button on the remote the signal lights in front don't flash like they used to.

I checked all connections and they are secure. What could be the problem??

{edit} MAN AM I AN IDIOT. Instead of connecting the black wire that comes from the side marker bulb to the signal bulb wire I attached the black wire that goes to the bulb. After re-reading the instructions on here I realized what I had done wrong. I disconnected everything and then attached the black wire coming from the bulb to the signal bulb wire and everything works perfect now! I also installed brand new mirrors on my Rugged Ridge mirror relocating brackets. The old ones were all scratched up and looked pretty sad.

Last edited by wuzzzer; 08-16-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Just did it. Took me about ten minutes and cost me only $6. Great, cheap mod.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

Just now finished mine too, total success The photo at the beginning of the thread was very helpful, thanks seal20!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:16 AM
JK Freak

No problem! Glad it helps.
Originally Posted by Mattmobile
Just now finished mine too, total success The photo at the beginning of the thread was very helpful, thanks seal20!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:17 PM
JK Freak

I don't mean to hijack this but does anyone know where I can get the pigtail or section of wiring from the marker light to the headlight area? Long story short I smashed the passenger fender off of a tree demolishing the marker light housing, causing the wiring to hang low and as you can probably imagine, my tire wore through all the wiring. I checked with the dealer they do not make such a part.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. I can post a picture later if it helps

Quick Reply: Marker light mod