Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Military High Frequency (HF) Antenna install

Old 09-26-2010, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military High Frequency (HF) Antenna install

This write-up is specific to my JK setup but can be adapted to yours. I got my hands on a 12 foot Shakespeare Military High Frequency (HF) whip Antenna. This antenna is used on US Military vehicles like the HUMVEE, Bradley’s, ETC... It is capable of transmitting and receiving from 2-30MHz. You must use an antenna turner.

My design attaches to my Or-Fab Tire carrier and places the mount high enough to just clear the passenger tail light when the carrier is fully opened.

Parts:
3 – 4’ sections Shakespeare model 120 antenna.
1 – Shakespeare Model 4244 Antenna Base
1 – Vehicle Antenna Mount #5985-01-215-9404
1 – Flat stock of Aluminum ½” x 5” x 20”L
3 – Muffler Clamps 1 ½” / 38mm U-bolts
3 – 5/16x1 ½” bolts, lock-washers, and nuts (for vehicle antenna mount)
4 – 3/8x1 ½” bolts, lock-washers, and nuts (attach antenna base to vehicle mount)
1- CB 3/8x24 antenna adapter
1 - 5/16X18 coupler

Misc.
Dupli-color bed liner (spray can)

I started by measuring and drilling the holes in the aluminum flat stock. I added three 1” holes down the center line to shave off a little weight and give my mount military aesthetics.

Once the mount was complete sanded and prepped, I sprayed it with black Dupli-color be liner to match the tire carrier. The mount attaches to the tire carrier with the muffler clamps. Use the 5/15 bolt to attach the vehicle mount to the flat stock mount.

Use the 3/8 bots to attach the Shakespeare base to the vehicle mount.

Next I had to make an adapter to connect a PL259 feed line to ¼” threaded rod with hex nut feed point of the Shakespeare base. I simple re-tapped the 3/8x24 CB antenna adapters with a 5/16x18 die.

Here is the adapter.

Base Feed point.

Adapter attached to feed point

Here is the final product

Now I need to fine one of the antenna tie downs to fold it over the JK while driving.

Last edited by rfrogman; 09-28-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Military High Frequency (HF) Antenna install

I like it! I haven't investigated any cb antenna mounts to use on my jk. I haven't even decided on cb yet either. Probably another connex 3300hp. I like your antenna setup though.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default What radio and tuner?

As of the moment I have been using a Icom IC-7000 with a HS-screwdriver antenna under a Better-RF controller.

I had wanted to go the way of a AH-4 Tuner with a straight whip but others talked me out of it..

As I have the AH-4 Tuner (Much faster tune than the motor) I still wonder and may try the straight whip/Tuner path.

Q1: Where did you get the antenna and home much did it cost?
Q2: What radio and tuner are you planning on using?

Pat - Ai4W

Last edited by phayden; 09-26-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-26-2010, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phayden
As of the moment I have been using a Icom IC-7000 with a HS-screwdriver antenna under a Better-RF controller.

I had wanted to go the way of a AH-4 Tuner with a straight whip but others talked me out of it..

As I have the AH-4 Tuner (Much faster tune than the motor) I still wonder and may try the straight whip/Tuner path.

Q1: Where did you get the antenna and home much did it cost?
Q2: What radio and tuner are you planning on using?

Pat - Ai4W
Q1A: I bought it from www.murphyjunk.bizland.com
Q2A: AN/PRC-74 2-12MHz USB HF rig or my Kenwood TS-450SAT. These are both temporary until I purchase a true mobile rig. Looking at the Yeasu FT-857D or a Kenwood TS-480SAT.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice! How well does it work? SWR?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Haven't tested it yet. I'll post once I do it may be a couple of days before get the rest of the cabling and grounding done.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Nice job, looks great.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:03 PM
JK Jedi

I like it...!!! Should be no worries with the tuner....

Just a thought....

I think it would be great fun to tx with it while mobile, where it is feasible, you know.... going slow on an easy trail with no overhead really to worry about. So the only other thing I might worry about (if you do drive with it not bent over and attached) is it might beat the hell out of your soft top....(I know my 102" stainless steel whip did on my CJ5). You might put a hole in a tennis ball, or something else and use it where it would contact your soft top.

Last edited by AK4Dave; 09-26-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by SiliconTi
Nice! How well does it work? SWR?
Remember guys this is NOT a CB antenna. Yes it could be used with one, but you would have to use an antenna tuner to make it work properly. He will be using it on the HAM bands as this is multi-band antenna designed to be used on a multitude of frequencies over a very wide area in the radio spectrum. 2-30 megahertz is a HUGE spread. It's nothing like a CB antenna, so it's not tuned for swr like a regular CB antenna is. The tuner he is going to use will do that.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:50 PM
JK Freak

Nice install, let us know how it perform as 30 mhz and lower is a nice play ground.

Quick Reply: Military High Frequency (HF) Antenna install