Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Military High Frequency (HF) Antenna install

Old 09-27-2010, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pape
Nice install, let us know how it perform as 30 mhz and lower is a nice play ground.
Well, anything much lower....ie below 26-27 meg and you better have a licence to that playground. And I've never read anywhere around here that you do.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Well, anything much lower....ie below 26-27 meg and you better have a licence to that playground. And I've never read anywhere around here that you do.
Don't know about others but I can play in that playground.

my call is W1RSF
Old 09-28-2010, 08:40 AM
JK Freak

AK4Dave, true and you're right I do not have the required licenses to transmit under 26.9650 mhz. But I certainly have everything I need to listen to everything I want. The reason I inquiry on the performance is for reception use and as the old saying say bigger is better. This is especially true for whip type antenna. Operating a yagi or any directional antenna on a mobile is a little hard.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:43 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Pape
AK4Dave, true and you're right I do not have the required licenses to transmit under 26.9650 mhz. But I certainly have everything I need to listen to everything I want. The reason I inquiry on the performance is for reception use and as the old saying say bigger is better. This is especially true for whip type antenna. Operating a yagi or any directional antenna on a mobile is a little hard.
RR...my mistake, but usually if I hear the word "playing" on the radio, I equate it to dx'ing, ragchewing, or at least tx'ing on the air. And yes indeed anybody can own a HAM radio and listen whenever and wherever all they want. And if I recall there is quite a fraternity of clubs dedicated to receiving only. I've actually received qsl cards from guys that heard me on the bands at a certain time and freq.

And just so you know, if you end up getting an antenna like his, even for receiving, you really need to have a tuner inline for it to work properly....meaning, for you to get the loudest signal on a given frequency. Small, portable tuners, (you won't need a big one because you won't be transmitting through it) aren't too expensive and will work wonders for a signal. Check out AES or HRO online and you'll see them.

I also want to say.....I've heard recently that the FCC has started giving the local authorities the go ahead to look into people running (tx'ing) on illegal radios. So if you have a HAM radio in your JK and get stopped by a cop that happens to know about them, without a license you could get busted for it. BUT......if you remove the microphone and don't have it in the rig, and tell the cop you only use it as a receiver, then I think without a mic he would be hard pressed to be able to do anything about it. Don't quote me on this tho as I don't know for sure, as actual receivers don't even have a place to plug in a mic.

Just a thought....
Old 09-29-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
RR...my mistake, but usually if I hear the word "playing" on the radio, I equate it to dx'ing, ragchewing, or at least tx'ing on the air. And yes indeed anybody can own a HAM radio and listen whenever and wherever all they want. And if I recall there is quite a fraternity of clubs dedicated to receiving only. I've actually received qsl cards from guys that heard me on the bands at a certain time and freq.

And just so you know, if you end up getting an antenna like his, even for receiving, you really need to have a tuner inline for it to work properly....meaning, for you to get the loudest signal on a given frequency. Small, portable tuners, (you won't need a big one because you won't be transmitting through it) aren't too expensive and will work wonders for a signal. Check out AES or HRO online and you'll see them.

I also want to say.....I've heard recently that the FCC has started giving the local authorities the go ahead to look into people running (tx'ing) on illegal radios. So if you have a HAM radio in your JK and get stopped by a cop that happens to know about them, without a license you could get busted for it. BUT......if you remove the microphone and don't have it in the rig, and tell the cop you only use it as a receiver, then I think without a mic he would be hard pressed to be able to do anything about it. Don't quote me on this tho as I don't know for sure, as actual receivers don't even have a place to plug in a mic.

Just a thought....
Don't worry I'm all up here in Canada and I will reassure you no TX at all, and it better this way, I got a couple of HAM friends. I'm more in the Number station hunting and world band , but I do enjoy sometime listening to the liberty net.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why do you guys listen to this freq?
Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TonyJeep75
Why do you guys listen to this freq?
are you talking about 26.9650 ? If so it CB channel 1, used as a demark in the conversation.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Jedi

I don't know what he meant, or if he was just trying to be funny....
Old 10-02-2010, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry it too a week before I could test my new antenna, but I got a 1:1 match with my Kenwood TS-450SAT auto-tuner on 40m. I shot a little video but you will have to excuse the alternator noise. As you can see this was just testing with the radio setting on the front seat and the engine idling. I did have ferrite on the feed points and power.

This guy was in Louisiana and I am in Tennessee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XpUaOU-3vs
Old 10-02-2010, 10:18 AM
JK Freak

I must be blind, I don't see any video link :(

Quick Reply: Military High Frequency (HF) Antenna install