Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Mounting clevis mounts onto the Mopar Rock Bumper

Old 04-23-2010, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting clevis mounts onto the Mopar Rock Bumper

Well did my first modification to my Jeep that wasn't done by the dealership. I had always liked the idea of having shackles/clevis mounts front and back of my vehicles. Fortunately the Mopar Off-Road rear bumper already came with the brackets for them. Unfortunately, the front did not. Thankfully there are products out there the will bolt onto the frame and be mounted in front of the bumper. I had a hard time convincing myself to modify the Offroad bumper but once I got going it was all downhill! A couple of ways I made it real easy. I had to go to the dealership for some work on the Jeep (the navigation system froze on me during a road trip, the Ipod connector doesn't work and got my half door project keyed to my Jeep). I asked them to loosen off the nuts that hold the bumper on and completely remove one nut so I can go to the local automotive hardware store to purchase new fasteners. as I was planning on doing this project afterwards. It is a 18mm nut that holds them on FYI. Also I purchased half inch imperial fasteners as metric was difficult to source out.

This is my Jeep as it was brand new in March 2009 as I was taking ownership of it from the dealership!

Here is a closeup of the bumper setup. Mind the bug collection, Just did a road trip Barrie On to New Providence NJ and back.

Here is the shot of the plastic bumperette off. The bolts are not positioned in a symetrical fashion... I had to fish for them due to the fact the fog lights were in the way.

With the tow hooks off. There are two plates per hook that I reused for the mounting of the bracket. If you turn the wheels, it makes it easier to gain access to the 18mm nuts. You here can see the welding at the sides and top of the "crush can" that will have to be removed.

And tah-dah! Here it is with the plate not on. Unfortunately I forgot to snap some pictures of the steps inbetween. I used an angle grinder to grind off the weld on the "crush cans" and ground off the welds on the bumper to make the area flush again. I then used chassis paint to cover up the bare metal areas. With the use of the chassis paint, I used a paper up froom the local fast food joint to cover up the light as I applied the paint. Then I used the fasteners to put it all together again, remembering to turn the wheels so that it is easier to get your socket wrench in! In retrospect, I plan on removing the bolts and adding a lock washer to the bolt head as it was failry difficult to tighten it up as the bolt head sits in a recessed shoulder. Other shackle/clevis mounts may not do this so you may not have the same problem.

And the finished project! Total leisurely time took around an hour and a half with a trip inbetween to get a 18mm 6P socket. My up comming front bumper projects are to get a Warn powerplant into that bumper where I will have to modify the bumper hoop. Any suggestions? I was planning on removing it completely and installing the winch and then designing a hoop afterwards and then weld it on.

So what do you think? Looks better or not? The bumperettes with the tow hooks did look beefy but the shackles mean business.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bumper looks great and I love the wheels!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

nice but what if you got longer bolts and ran both? grade 8 bolts should work well, i was thinking of doing this on my bumper.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! I did a similiar trick with a set of RR shackles before I got my Smitty.
Now its time to loose that air dam.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand clevis mount did you use, and did it bolt right into place?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mcgill2634
What brand clevis mount did you use, and did it bolt right into place?
These were made by Teraflex and yes, they bolted right into place.

Quick Reply: Mounting clevis mounts onto the Mopar Rock Bumper