Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My $1.46 5 Minute XRC Carrier Fix

Old 10-24-2010, 02:30 PM
bkw
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My $1.46 5 Minute XRC Carrier Fix

It's safe to say that a number of happy XRC owners have issues with the latching mechanism of these bumpers. I had noticed that the holding power of my latch had been deteriorating and yesterday after a quick trip through some fire trails, my latch came undone and my carrier swung open.

I examined the latch and saw that it's failing at two points. (1) The bracket where the T latches onto has been ground smooth and, (2) there's a pretty large gap between the spacer and where it meets the carrier - also what I believe is the source of my rattling. I believe there may have been a silicone or plastic washer there before by looking at the remnants.

Yikes!

Bracket:

Gap:

So I went to Home Depot today looking for resolution and found a rubber gasket in the toilet repair aisle for $1.46. It's called a "Gasket for Tip-Toe Drain Spacer", and it's much thinner than the Ball Cock rubber gasket that I went in for initially.

I took the rubber spacer and put one on each side, and then from the steering wheel "clunk" fix, I had a tube of moly grease (gets tackier as it works) and I applied a light coat to the inside of the large aluminum spacer.

I initially used two rubber spacers, but found that the action to lock my carrier was too high and was concerned that it would expedite the deterioration of the bracket further.

Got one in there on the latch side. It fits easily over the C clamp and that's it!

Took it back to the fire trail today and the rattles are gone and the latch stayed closed!

2 gaskets, I didnt need 2, but some of you might:

1 gasket, my current solution:

Installed!

Hope this helps someone else out there!

Last edited by bkw; 10-24-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats using noodle.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

havent had an issue but will keep this in mind if it does! good job

Quick Reply: My $1.46 5 Minute XRC Carrier Fix