Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My 3rd brake light mod

Old 09-06-2011, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 3rd brake light mod

I know there are a few 3rd brake light mods out there, but I thought I'd throw another into the mix. I wanted a inexpensive option that relocated the 3rd brake light into the spare tire. I didn't want to have to deal with mounting one in the center cap and plugging and unplugging it every time the tire had to come off, and I didn't like the look of a relocated factory 3rd brake light just sitting back there either. So this is what I came up with. It is a clean inexpensive way to completely eliminate the factory 3rd brake light and replace it with a nice clean looking 6 LED light that sits right between the spokes. It will run you anywhere between $10-$20 depending on if you have to buy paint or not. Here is a quick write up on it:

Parts needed:

1 - 4" sealed running board light (Blazer part #C535R)
2 - L brackets (4" for a factory 17" wheel or 5" for a factory 18' wheel)
Stainless steel hardware for mounting
Shrink tubing for wiring
Black paint of your choice
Zip ties

First thing to do is to remove the spare tire and disconnect the factory 3rd brake light. There are 4 T-20 torques screws holding the light on to the mount. Remove these and unplug the light. Once the light is unplugged you can then remove the spare tire holder from the door. It is held on by 8 13mm bolts.

You have to remove this from the Jeep because it needs to be cut and there was no way I was going to try doing that while it was still mounted. I did this mod to 2 Jeeps this weekend (a 2011 and 2010), both had the solid rear arm that extends up over the tire. This piece will have to be cut off. I chose to cut it off as close to the base as possible.

Once it was cut off, I sanded down the cut edges so they were flat to the top of the holder. Now it is ready to be painted.

I chose to use Rust-oleum's truck bed coating to match the texture that was already on the tire holder and to make it look factory. I also used this paint on the 2 "L" brackets as they will be slightly visible through the wheel.

While you paint is drying you can get to work on the wiring. The new brake light has 2 wires coming out of it (1 red, 1 black). These need to be spliced onto the factory wiring. I chose to just cut the factory plug off as there was no way the factory light was ever going back on this thing. The factory wire colors are black, white w/red stripe. You can choose to either solder these connections or use crimp connectors. However you choose to do it, I highly recommend using some sort of heat shrink tubing after the connections are made. This will help keep moisture from corroding the wires. The wires are connected like this: black to black and red to white w/red stripe.

Once the paint has dried you are ready to bolt the tire holder back on the door. You cant even tell the factory brake light extension was there.

Now route the light through the holder and attach it to your "L" brackets. I used some tape to temporarily hold the brackets in place so I could mount the tire back on the holder. Once the tire is back on you can check for clearance and get the light positioned exactly where you like. Once it is in the right position you can mark your holes for mounting. Remove the tire and screw the L brackets to the tire holder. I chose to use galvanized self-tapping screws for this.

Once everything was mounted I used a couple of zip ties to clean up the wiring.

Now bolt the rim back on and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Special thanks to 2010 JK for helping me get this done on both of our Jeeps!!

Last edited by Nelly; 02-03-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job
Old 09-06-2011, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like this will help oversized tire fit much easier too...nice work
Old 09-06-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very nice!! This looks much better than the "clown nose" mod
Old 09-06-2011, 04:54 PM
JK Freak

Looks very good. Nice job.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very cool
Old 09-06-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK08KATYTX
Very cool
Excellent! I will be doing this soon!
Thanks

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. I like that little light you got,but I'm cheap and just used the light that Jeep gave me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sahara jk 005.jpg
Views:	2960
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	207761  
Old 09-06-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkdeuce
Looks great. I like that little light you got,but I'm cheap and just used the light that Jeep gave me.
Did u have to rewire anything?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkdeuce
Yeah, that is what I was originally going to do. However I wasnt happy with the way the factory light looked behind the rim and there was no real good way to mount it.

Quick Reply: My 3rd brake light mod