Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My 4wd shifter repair.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 07 rubi has 68,000 miles on it. I purchased it used with a 4" lift and 35's. So I think it was used a good bit. But as far a forcing in to gear, I know it is a non syncronizzed t-case and that is why I found it odd that after trying to shift it from a very slow roll it still wouldn't engage. I believe that the plastic bushing cracked when I put it into 4L and when I went to put it into 4h it was bound up. On a plus side it won't break again lol.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ArtsRx7
My 07 rubi has 68,000 miles on it. I purchased it used with a 4" lift and 35's. So I think it was used a good bit. But as far a forcing in to gear, I know it is a non syncronizzed t-case and that is why I found it odd that after trying to shift it from a very slow roll it still wouldn't engage. I believe that the plastic bushing cracked when I put it into 4L and when I went to put it into 4h it was bound up. On a plus side it won't break again lol.
Yep she deffently should work for a while now.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a similar problem, but mine snapped off on the t-case end and I was able to just pop the clip back on while on the trail I was feeling pretty lucky that day
Old 12-05-2010, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Totally know why you did the modd, did a lot of reading on this subject like you did, just was looking out from one Jeeper to another. I was going to do something similar to what you did, but I decided to buy some of the extra parts from the dealer " cost less than $10 total, and keep them in my glove box, along with some plastic wire ties. --- something you will not have to carry or worry about anymore,,,lol
Old 12-05-2010, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

I think the plastic bushing is only $0.88 on jeeps website. I just hate worrying about the next thing to break. As if we don't have enough things to worry about.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

I think the plastic bushing is only $0.88 on jeeps website. I just hate worrying about the next thing to break. As if we don't have enough things to worry about.
Yeah,, like emptying out my JK after a heavy rainfall. This past rainstorm was pretty bad, had some water on my pass side footwell. After I pulled the plug for the first few seconds, it looked as if my JK relieved it self in public....

As far as the parts, I ordered $10 worth purposely, On the trails you can become a real hero and make many connections with certain spare parts on hand. Made quite a few lady friends doing this for many people. Especially the subject at hand.,,,,lol Guess that is a bonus for being a part the Jeep thing. Chicks really dig Jeeps
Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thats what he said...

Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY
Great info and writeup: JUst one piece of friendly advice. I am sure you know that the JK's 4x4 system is not synchronous, if tyring to engage 4wd , and the shifter is showing stifness or hesitance, let the jeep slowly roll a couple of feet and re-try. It will engage smoothly. I was told by a long time Jeep mechanic , that the plasctic parts were meant to brake, to save the transfer case from internal damage from improperly engagement of the non synchronous 4x4 system.

No doubt , overtime from use , age and heat from the tranny and heat from the exhaust ,, due to the location of the linkage parts , will brake without prior notice. Now that you made the mods, be easy on your engagement of the 4x4 system, now that the force you use on the shifter will now be fully transffered to the transfer case with no brake away bushing.

Just looking out for you, as mentioned you did a nice write up and work, jsut wanted to save you some $$$ from large repairs.

CHEERS

Great advice.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

Subscribed
Old 03-15-2013, 04:29 AM
JK Newbie

This happened to me on the trail. In a panic I just cut the top plastic to get it over the 4wd shifter, to get home I just wrapped the little nob with electrical tape and trimmed it to fit snug, a dab of motor oil for lube and tapped the little metal disk thing back on the post, I was then able to shift and have fun the rest of the trail.... It's still holding up but awesome fix! Glad I came across this
Old 04-01-2013, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

This happened to me yesterday. What's the best way to get hat center console off to get to the linkage

Quick Reply: My 4wd shifter repair.