Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My Heated Seats- Toasty Buns!!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do these kits have an auto off feature? I guess I would want mine to shut off with the vehicle and stay off when turned back on. So the passenger side isnt constantly on.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

great writeup. wished i would of seen it before doing mine.

thanks
Old 03-03-2012, 08:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kingrye
Do these kits have an auto off feature? I guess I would want mine to shut off with the vehicle and stay off when turned back on. So the passenger side isnt constantly on.
I can't speak for that kit in particularity ... but some do have a weight sensor in there so they only turn on when there is a load present, for example a person. Disadvantage is that they will not pre warm the chair for you if your idle your Jeep.

Easiest thing to do is to simply run a relay from a ciggy lighter or anything that is only powered on when the vehicle is running.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

So to make sure Im not mistaken, I can wire my heated seats by tapping into the left side cig lighter power source?
Old 12-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You can. They're supposed to draw 3a on low and 5a on high (each). Each comes with it's own harness as though you might install one in one vehicle and the other in a separate vehicle. I just put mine in last night and each harness had a 10a fuse. I put both of them together on their own circuit on a 10a fuse. The wire is thin enough that anything more than 10a going through them would probably melt the wire.

I put the switches under the hazard switch in that flat panel. Clipping a little bit from the larger panel will allow you plenty of room behind the smaller panel for the switches. I'll figure out a picture shortly.

jkfreaks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=399190

This forum won't accept my pictures but that link will take you to my post.

Last edited by karls10jk; 12-27-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You can. They're supposed to draw 3a on low and 5a on high (each). Each comes with it's own harness as though you might install one in one vehicle and the other in a separate vehicle. I just put mine in last night and each harness had a 10a fuse. I put both of them together on their own circuit on a 10a fuse. The wire is thin enough that anything more than 10a going through them would probably melt the wire.

I put the switches under the hazard switch in that flat panel. Clipping a little bit from the larger panel will allow you plenty of room behind the smaller panel for the switches. I'll figure out a picture shortly.

jkfreaks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=399190

This forum won't accept my pictures but that link will take you to my post.
Did you have anything else inline after the fuse? Cant get mine to work for some reason. What did you tap into for power?
Old 12-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

For now I've got a mini fuse box under the glove box where my power comes in. That'll be changed soon but is irrelevant here. My fuse box has a 10a fuse and it feeds the two seats directly. The wire comes off of the fuse and runs down into their harness which terminates at the relay.

I want to move their power over to a switched source so they can't drain the battery overnight. Ronjenx has a great source of info on those available fuse slots in the factory box.

Try running your power wires straight to the battery, with a fuse inline of course, and see what you get. If it's nothing then you know it's on the seat end. If it's something then it's your power source. Do you hear the relay click when you hit your button?

Quick Reply: My Heated Seats- Toasty Buns!!