Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Notes on a TeraFlex 2.5” Spring Lift

Old 08-16-2008, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you have the mounted wrong in both ways, your first way has the top on the in and the bottom on the out. In the 2nd picture you have them both out. The instructions say to put them both in, like this... I'm sure Joe will pipe in when he sees the thread and say the correct way.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0221.JPG
Views:	6232
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	11842  
Old 08-16-2008, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Top and bottom, and for both front and rear links?

Sorry, lost you here. One buddy pushed down, and another up? What were they applying force to (I understand that it has something to do with creating more clearance to allow for coil installation, but not sure what part of the vehicle they were grappling with)?

Thanks for the pics and heads-up on the potential installation issues!!
Yep!. Ok say i was putting the spring into place on the drivers side. So i would have a friend lift the passengerside of the axle and another push down on my side. This gave me enough room to put the coil in with no problem.

one little bit of extra info i found.
The instructions have you loosen your Control Arm bolts... I found this a serious problem when i cracked a few hardened sockets on just the first bolt. In the end i managed the whole lift without touching the control arms.

Joe! They tell you to take off yoru parking brake brake lines and those little black clips in the rear. did you reconnect them? I wasn't sure. It says nothing about reconnecting them.

Last edited by eraujk; 08-16-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ranwitscissorz
I think you have the mounted wrong in both ways, your first way has the top on the in and the bottom on the out. In the 2nd picture you have them both out. The instructions say to put them both in, like this... I'm sure Joe will pipe in when he sees the thread and say the correct way.

I have mine on the outside and they work fine with the top bolt the right way. I looked at putting them on the inside but it seemed it would conflect with the the shocks, on the right side maybe the trac bar mount, brake lines, and what not. I put them on in the same way the came off stock. No rubbing with stock x wheels and i plan to get new ones with better backspacing.

I dont think it really matters. Maybe if you have a different type of wheel but you should be ok either way.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

ranwitscissorz - yeah, TeraFlex recommends the sway bar links on the inside of the frame and the inside of the sway bar. The top bolt should have the head toward the tire, but the bottom bolt should be reversed (the nut toward the tire). Maybe the bottom bolt direction isn’t a big deal, but there’s no way the extra bolt and nut can hit anything when it is pointing toward the tire, but when the nut and bolt are in the other direction there is a chance it could hit the shock when filly extended. Note: I just re-checked the TeraFlex instructions and they indicate the bottom bolt should be like stock - the nut should be pointing toward the wheel (they also show it that way in their “new” instructions).

On my Jeep the hole in the lower bracket is drilled too close to the front of the bracket, so I had to mount my track bar links in the stock position - on the outside of the bracket and the outside of the sway bar.

In any case, I don’t think it would be advisable to mount one end of the trac bar link on the inside and the other end on the outside.

shadowpro-jk - Oh, yeah the little black clips - I forgot to mention them. You are correct, the instructions say to disconnect them, but don’t say if they should be reconnected. I contacted TeraFlex and talked to Joe, and he checked what they did on their Jeep and they re-connected the black clips, so I did the same.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Big Thanks to Joe and Shadowpro for all the great pics & tips!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 11:07 AM
JK Junkie

In all these good posts, and comments I think this question got lost along the way. Joe? Anyone else?

Originally Posted by joe002
(Note: On my Rubicon I disconnected the front sway bar with the e-disconnect switch before doing the install).
Is that something they recommend doing in the instructions, or something you believed would help with the install? Just wondering if I should do the same (i.e., what benefit is derived by doing this)?
Old 08-16-2008, 11:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RubiRedJK
Big Thanks to Joe and Shadowpro for all the great pics & tips!!!
x2. Thanks for taking time to answer our questions. Great info!!
Old 08-16-2008, 11:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
In all these good posts, and comments I think this question got lost along the way. Joe? Anyone else?

Is that something they recommend doing in the instructions, or something you believed would help with the install? Just wondering if I should do the same (i.e., what benefit is derived by doing this)?
Oh yeah, forgot that one.

I didn't read it anywhere. I just figured it would make removal and installation easier. You can see in some pictures I moved it up to get it out of the way and in some pictures I moved it down (wooden block pic up, bendy spring picture down). When I installed the front links it was easy to just move it to the correct height and hook up the links.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

quick check. ok the black clips are good to go back on. Now it also wanted us to take off that bracket that held the parking brake lines" to the body. Its up high above the center of the axle. two bolts held it in. Did you reconnect this one aswell?

I noticed that Az-Jk had issues with his front swaybars. They where badly tilted and angled.... i have no idea why that happend in his set up. Mine are mostly straight up and down, maybe a very slight tilt to the right with the axle of center by that 1/4-1/2 inch but not bad. If this happens i would almost stop take a breath get some coffee and come back and look at it because it shouldn't do that.

Last edited by eraujk; 08-16-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by joe002
I still have to take mine out on the trail, but on the road it does seem to be close to factory. I’m hoping to hit a trail this weekend.
You should come up to sedona with the Tucson Guys and myself! Its a good warm up for the Thanksgiving trip to Moab that you should also take your jeep on for a test run. Whats a better test than moab it self!

Quick Reply: Notes on a TeraFlex 2.5” Spring Lift