Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil change

Old 09-28-2014, 05:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to do the amsoil with the dual filter set up and only pushed it to 12,500 on my Dodge Ram. Aaaannnnd, had lifters replaced. I still like the oil but it was just too much hassle to track it down. Signed up for the dealer element and still didn't care for the process. Switched to Mobil 1 and have had zero issues, in every vehicle I owned and currently own. I decided to try Royal Purple this weekend and on start up had the worst engine knock for a few seconds then gone. Switching back to Mobil 1 on the next change. It's not certified by Chrysler but I'm not concerned about that.

Mobil 1
Every 3k
Mopar filter (2012 JKUR)
Old 10-02-2014, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amsoil users are the same folks who were using everything from Amway a few years ago. Don't believe their cult PR and go with a real oil company's product.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy18
2013 jku with 30000 miles. Used up all of my dealer oil changes. Looking to see what type of filters and oil everyone is using.
My 2012 jku turned 50,000 miles today. I change oil every 5,000 miles. Typically use penzoil synthetic. Have tried a couple others and honestly never can tell any difference. For filter I either go with mopar, or stp because that's what the places around me have. The dealer actually charges less for the mopar than autozone does for the stp. Going any longer intervals than what is listed in your manual will likely void your 100,000 mile power train warranty.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Mastiff
Amsoil users are the same folks who were using everything from Amway a few years ago. Don't believe their cult PR and go with a real oil company's product.
Amsoil makes some highly respected products. (I don't use them personally). I believe the signature series is the formulations that get a lot of praise on oil forums from even jaded members. However many people don't like their sales methods or marketing.

Depending on the operating conditions and health of the engine, many of the top offerings of the major producers can easily handle longer OCIs than most users "feel" is ok.

A top conventional or synthetic SN rated oil in an appropriate grade coupled with a quality filter will easily go the distance determined by the oil life monitor and provide more than enough protection for the engine (extremely dusty environments excluded, the OLM doesn't account well for extreme dust).

Quality oil, quality filter, follow the OLM without exceeding the maximums (time/miles) for warranty and sleep easy.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I switched to synthetic and mine started burning oil. Tried different brands and weights still burns
Old 10-03-2014, 04:57 AM
-

Started out with Castrol way back when.. (on other jeeps) then with the 99 we went to the Castrol syntec.. which later became known as edge.. Been using Edge ever since. Typically oil changes every 5k - 7K miles and as for the filters.. Voted in the what filter thread.. Bosch and we look forward to our next oil change very soon featuring the Bosch 3422 extended filter..

Last edited by AngryRedBird; 10-03-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
Started out with Castrol way back when.. (on other jeeps) then with the 99 we went to the Castrol syntec.. which later became known as edge.. Been using Edge ever since. Typically oil changes every 5k - 7K miles and as for the filters.. Voted in the what filter thread.. Bosch and we look forward to our next oil change very soon featuring the Bosch 3422 extended filter..
The OP has a 2013. I don't think extended filters are an option. Am I wrong?
Old 10-03-2014, 01:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife's 2012 manual says 8k or 6 months max, my 2014 manual says 10K miles or 12 months max. I do both every 6 months as we don't hit the mileage. Of course, if the light comes on I change it sooner, as it is based on driving conditions. I would definitely not exceed that. Your manual should tell you.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:35 PM
-

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
The OP has a 2013. I don't think extended filters are an option. Am I wrong?
I Believe his is a canister replaceable filter. I was merely pointing out what we are planning on doing..
Old 10-03-2014, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I work with motor oil on a daily basis. Just finished another week long class on oil types etc etc. If you think you only have to change your oil every 25k your insane. Like another user stated. Oil is designed to pull and hold dirt, and grime. Also go and read the back of some of these bottles. Mobile 1 15k. Is a prime example. Should last 15,000 miles right. "Unless used in extreme conditions" go read those extreme conditions they will make you laugh. Extreme conditions are daily driving plan and simple. 3-5k in my opinion is when you should drain your oil. Even synthetics. Synthetic oils are engineered so that the molecules are uniform and flow better. Doesn't mean it doesn't get dirty.

Quick Reply: Oil change