Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Power hard top hoist for @ $150.00 !

Old 02-09-2016, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shadowpaige64507
How long do you leave the top hoisted up at a time? I'm getting ready to purchase an electric hoist and curious if I need a secondary latch/lock of some sort to keep the top from falling. I plan to leave mine up about a week at a time.
You could leave it there as long as you want.

All last summer my top was hanging from my garage ceiling with 4 motorcycle straps. Attached to 4 eyelets in the trusses, and hooked under the bottom of each side of the top. 2 on each side. No worries at all. Parked my hood under it all summer. If someone was too shove on it and shake it around, well then yes I suppose it COULD fall.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get mine closer to the ceiling, I mounted the hoist bar on 2 joists and dropped the line through a hole in the ceiling. It gives you a few more inches, which I needed with my low ceiling and a lift.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dbmoorejr
Important note!!!!!!!! Rear hook should be offset to driver side from center about 3 to 4 inches to balance. It will not move once there so one hook is plenty. You have to do this for extra weight of rear wiper motor assembly.
You are meaning to move where you welded the entire bracket leg with the rear hook correct? Move it 3-4" to the left and weld it.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2016, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by olyelr
You could leave it there as long as you want. All last summer my top was hanging from my garage ceiling with 4 motorcycle straps. Attached to 4 eyelets in the trusses, and hooked under the bottom of each side of the top. 2 on each side. No worries at all. Parked my hood under it all summer. If someone was too shove on it and shake it around, well then yes I suppose it COULD fall.
You're not talking apples to apples. I'm asking about using an electric hoist and leaving it up. You're talking about straps. I would think twice about doing what you're talking about. That is a pretty secure way to hold it. I'm going the lazy way with the electric hoist.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Nice write up I live in Lewisville so close to all the stores you visited. Can't wait to attempt this for the summer thanks!
Old 03-01-2016, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Nice, this is gonna be a summer project

Quick Reply: Power hard top hoist for @ $150.00 !