Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Pypes HGC exhaust

Old 03-11-2015, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pypes HGC exhaust

Well I picked up a Pypes HGC exhaust for my 2013 JKU awhile back and finally got it installed today.

First, anytime you are working on anything make sure to have the right tools. I thought I had everything I needed and went to my Dad's barn. Better than working on it in my gravel driveway. Picked up a set of exhaust hanger tool, made getting the hangers loose really easy. I also got out the trusted WD 40 to lubricate everything. The rear muffler wasn't an issue, but the clamp on the mid pipe is pointed up and made it very difficult to get leverage on it. I ended up removing the transfer case skid to get a little more room.

The instructions were pretty limited, but how much do you need to know in taking an exhaust off and installing a new one. More than you would think. If Pypes reads this in my opinion they need to lengthen their mid pipe by about 2 inches to give more adjust ability in the final fitment. It took about 30 minutes to get it just right to avoid exhaust leaks.

Now for the initial impression. The sound is very throaty on start up and calms down a little after about a minute of idling. Acceleration is a lot louder than I would prefer with little throttle input. Once you get to a steady speed the sound is tolerable, a little more drone than expected. according to the decimeter on my phone the sound inside was 81DB at 60mph. Getting on the throttle is where it excels in sound, reminds me of going to Saturday night races.

Performance gains, I don't feel any seat of the pants increase in HP or power. After about 50 miles of 80% highway and 18% city and 2% idling, my fuel mileage appears to be improved to full on stock setting. Prior to tires and lift being installed I averaged 18MPG around here, and after the mods went down to 16.3MPG on average. After 50 miles I am showing 18.5MPG.

Sound Clips
Interior at highway speed. https://www.youtub

Exterior heading out of the driveway, camera stopped working when I stopped, I will post a better video later. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gbib7clG6E Overall impression not bad for the price I paid, just over $200. The best part is this clears up a lot of space under the rear of the jeep, future plan would be for an OBA with the AFE skid OBA bracket.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Another sound bite. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HVDeSmXRYIc
Old 03-20-2015, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your first YouTube link for the interior sound doesn't work. I would love to hear it!
Old 03-20-2015, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pypes hgc interior sound: http://youtu.be/KuKlfN91m_Q Try that one. If not go to my channel and it should be there.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Finally got everything lined with no leaks or rattles. But then I found that one of the welds on the muffler is incomplete with a pin hole. I have notified pypes and we will see what they say.

Last edited by ljvsnyder; 03-22-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Love the price, but just scared it will be TOO LOUD ???
Old 06-15-2015, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lsot
Love the price, but just scared it will be TOO LOUD ???
This is my concern too. I had Pypes resonators on my mustang. That had full exhaust work and was louder than a harrier jet lol but that was how I wanted it. I don't exactly want the loudest jeep with a minivan motor rolling around, but something that rumbles a bit and hides my transmission creaks and whines!
Old 06-25-2015, 02:36 AM
JK Newbie

Did Pypes ever do anything about the missing weld? I am very interested in this setup.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sent me a new muffler. I touched up the weld and left the old one on.

Quick Reply: Pypes HGC exhaust