Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

QUALITY SIDE-MOUNTED EXPEDITION AWNING FOR $150 Bucks!

Old 06-07-2014, 10:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default QUALITY SIDE-MOUNTED EXPEDITION AWNING FOR $150 Bucks!

I've been working on putting one of these together for a while. In October I'm heading off on an expedition to the Pyenees so it was time to put things into action.

HERE'S THE RESULT!

Old 06-07-2014, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pretty cool idea thanks for sharing and I like your Jeep.

I was able to pick up an inexpensive awning for less than $200 that we used in Moab last year. I run it on my trailer but when I get a roof rack finished it will go on my jeep.

Here it is set up at camp and stowed for travel, yours has much more coverage.

Last edited by Milkman; 06-07-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:21 AM
JK Freak

Thanks MM! Really like the trailer setup, too! Been mulling one of those for a while.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you can swing it the trailer is so nice to adventure with. Being overseas and the trailer being fiberglass it probably wouldn't be that costly to get the panels shipped to you. We crossed more than half of the US with it last fall and it was so easy pulling it.

Looks like you have some great mods on your Jeep, if you haven't caught it yet check out this thread on the other Jeep forum. I'm working with Jeff on this while learning how to fiberglass. Hopefully the prototype will be picked up by a company for everyone to be able to get one.

"Barn Door" option for factory JK hardtops? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Old 06-08-2014, 03:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Milkman
If you can swing it the trailer is so nice to adventure with. Being overseas and the trailer being fiberglass it probably wouldn't be that costly to get the panels shipped to you. We crossed more than half of the US with it last fall and it was so easy pulling it.

Looks like you have some great mods on your Jeep, if you haven't caught it yet check out this thread on the other Jeep forum. I'm working with Jeff on this while learning how to fiberglass. Hopefully the prototype will be picked up by a company for everyone to be able to get one.

"Barn Door" option for factory JK hardtops? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
I'm mulling trailers seriously. I do like to travel light but when the family is in tow one would be very handy. Love those barn door tops. They look very much like LR Defender tops.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:06 AM
JK Freak

As a follow up to this, if you're going to use ball loops to attach a side awning to an MBRP rack, the 10cm ones will work but they're a serious effort to get on and off. The 15cm versions are much easier and hold it plenty firm.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Just made a cover for this.

http://4wdx.com/expedition-side-awning-cover/

Quick Reply: QUALITY SIDE-MOUNTED EXPEDITION AWNING FOR $150 Bucks!