Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Quick, dirty and free door pin guides

Old 07-22-2014, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick, dirty and free door pin guides

Is it just me and my puny arms or are getting your doors back on an impossible feat of surgical strength? I feel like I need to be the Hulk and Dr Banner at the same time. Jeez...

So. I've been eyeing the American Outlaw door pin guides to make this easier but wanted to try my hand at Macgyver'ing something up for free for a start.

1. Got a M6 bolt from the hardware store.

2. Found a pen that's the right diameter and used the bolt to thread it. Vice grips and a wrench made quick work of it.

3. Screwed the pen on to the top door pin and marveled at getting the damn door on to both hinges the first try! Black magic.

I'm sure someone's done this before but haven't seen any posts so thought I'd share. Also pretty sure there's less ghetto ways of doing this and would love to see others' hackadoodles.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the idea. I know what you mean these doors are freaking heavy and a pain especially doing it by yourself. I'm going to have to borrow your idea.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SOGMANINPA
Like the idea. I know what you mean these doors are freaking heavy and a pain especially doing it by yourself. I'm going to have to borrow your idea.
Glad I'm not the only one. Yeah let me know how it goes.

Also in hindsight I'd make the pen a little shorter than what's pictured. Less lifting that way.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:37 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

That's why you own a Jeep - to motivate you to get in shape! I had trouble with my doors (also rotating the dang heavy tires!) so I started lifting weights again after last summer (bicep curls especially). I'm no hulk, but at least this summer it was no problem handling the doors - I'll see how the tire rotation goes this weekend!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Someone else had the same idea as you! Picked up this stainless steel version a couple months ago...so simple and a real help putting the doors back on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	567226  
Old 07-23-2014, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lowendrider
Someone else had the same idea as you! Picked up this stainless steel version a couple months ago...so simple and a real help putting the doors back on.
Guessing those are the American Outlaw pins? I got the idea from there.

The metal ones are great but I'm liking my plastic ones since they can't scratch the paint. I'm a total klutz so that's bound to happen sooner or later...
Old 08-16-2014, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I'm slow I don't understand how to do this, I too struggle with my doors and living in Cleveland Ohio, weather changes daily.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by munir
Is it just me and my puny arms or are getting your doors back on an impossible feat of surgical strength? I feel like I need to be the Hulk and Dr Banner at the same time. Jeez...

So. I've been eyeing the American Outlaw door pin guides to make this easier but wanted to try my hand at Macgyver'ing something up for free for a start.

1. Got a M6 bolt from the hardware store.

2. Found a pen that's the right diameter and used the bolt to thread it. Vice grips and a wrench made quick work of it.

3. Screwed the pen on to the top door pin and marveled at getting the damn door on to both hinges the first try! Black magic.

I'm sure someone's done this before but haven't seen any posts so thought I'd share. Also pretty sure there's less ghetto ways of doing this and would love to see others' hackadoodles.

I am usually pretty good at Macgyvering stuff but I didn't think of this one. I had some Bic stick pens in my tool box and cut one down and drilled it out to fit the top pin of each door and it works great. So much better than buying the stainless ones. Thanks for the idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2015, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by munir
The metal ones are great but I'm liking my plastic ones since they can't scratch the paint. I'm a total klutz so that's bound to happen sooner or later...
I'm a little surprised that someone hasn't come out with a black nylon version of the EZ-On door pin guides so they're less prone to scratch the paint but still look, well, nice.

If only I could somehow parlay that idea into justification (to my wife) for buying a 3D printer...

Somebody bash that out and get it on Shapeways!!

Last edited by rodaniel; 06-23-2015 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Typo!
Old 06-23-2015, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tried this. Thanks OP, it really helps!

Quick Reply: Quick, dirty and free door pin guides