Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rear Bumper DIY Style

Old 12-18-2013, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish I had the time, ability, access to tools, etc. (in other words everything) to do this kind of stuff. For me, it wouldn't be as much about saving the money (bonu$) but the fun building the project.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance that I could drive up from Benning and purchase it when you're done abusing it?
Old 12-18-2013, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed!

I built myself a front bumper and I'm working on tube fenders now. I can't wait to see how this turns out. DIY projects are fun as hell, enjoy!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you doing a tire carrier on it also. If so check out this link. I think it would work awesome and easy.

http://www.atozfabrication.com/store...roductid=16138
Old 12-19-2013, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Are you doing a tire carrier on it also. If so check out this link. I think it would work awesome and easy.

Tire Carrier Swingout Heavy Duty Hinge Kit
I cant make my mind up on the carrier. Im only planning on 33s so a carrier isnt a must have right off the bat. Im actually ordering my clevis mounts from AtoZ fab. I saw a DIY Evo slyle carrier but not to crazy drilling into my body panels especially when its DIY. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by Shutterbug
I wish I had the time, ability, access to tools, etc. (in other words everything) to do this kind of stuff. For me, it wouldn't be as much about saving the money (bonu$) but the fun building the project.
In reality that is why I build most of my own stuff. I always have to have something to be working on. Im just blessed to work for a company that has this stuff on hand.

Originally Posted by Scout425
Any chance that I could drive up from Benning and purchase it when you're done abusing it?
Im so crazy I already have ideas for a different design. Who knows, I might be selling this one in a few months.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kylelever
I cant make my mind up on the carrier. Im only planning on 33s so a carrier isnt a must have right off the bat. Im actually ordering my clevis mounts from AtoZ fab. I saw a DIY Evo slyle carrier but not to crazy drilling into my body panels especially when its DIY. Time will tell. In reality that is why I build most of my own stuff. I always have to have something to be working on. Im just blessed to work for a company that has this stuff on hand. Im so crazy I already have ideas for a different design. Who knows, I might be selling this one in a few months.
Hmm. I running a 285/17 on my stock carrier and it's bout to drive me crazy. Hopefully a bumper and tire carrier is in my near future. I don't have the tools to do this kind if stuff or I would knock it out
Old 12-19-2013, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I could be eating my words later. But Im several months out from changing tires, so I can look at it then. I love what this guy did: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...arrier-126745/
Old 12-20-2013, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Got a mounting bracket cut the other evening and cleaned up the cuts this morning. This 5/8 steel was really pushing the limits of our plasma cutter. My cuts ended up angled through the steel so I may have to machine down the edges and slightly modify where my wholes will be drilled for the mounting bolts.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What dimensions are you using for the mounting points? I also work at a manufacturing shop (engineer) and would love to do something similar.
My main problem is idk what the policy on personal projects really is and we are in the process of getting a new manager so idk if I will be able to try it or not.
Id love to draw some up on solidworks but I dont know what dimensions to start with. Ive only had my jeep for a week so far.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kylelever
I could be eating my words later. But Im several months out from changing tires, so I can look at it then. I love what this guy did: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...arrier-126745/
Holy god! Im no fabricator but your project and the DIY carrier sure make me want to start!

SUB'd fun thread!

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper DIY Style