Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rear Bumper DIY Style

Old 01-06-2014, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I didn't get to work much on the bumper during the "break". I cut another main section before we left for Christmas but I guess the heat from the plasma cutting caused the thinner sections to warp. I didnt have a strait edge to weld to so we resorted to plan B. I had an engineer draw up the center section in our CAD software. This was handed off to our Punch programmers. They are going to punch small holes to make a perforated section for me to cut with a cut-off wheel. It will then be bent on a press to the correct shape. I wanted to do this more hands on, but this will be stronger and involve much less welding and grinding.

Axis: My main mount points will be the original bumper mounts and the receiver hitching mounting holes. I will also use the holes in the frame that were original used for the tow hooks. The measurements from the outside edges of the frame are roughly 46.5 inches I think. Once I get my bumper finished my model will have all of the correct measurement. You are welcome to what I have now, just realize my model isn't exact yet.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Finally making some progress again. Blank was cut for the main sections and formed last week. Cut the second mount bracket today at lunch. Have to mill out the mounting holes but hope to see it sitting on the Jeep by the end of the week. Im waiting on a blank so I can cut and from the insert for the spare tire.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I want your tools.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HardRooster
I want your tools.
Exactly what ive been thinking this whole time! Yeah bro, IM JELOUS!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dont get too jealous guys. Not "my" tools. Im blessed to work for a company that has of this stuff. Im in IT, but will always make sure Im friends with the people that know how to use this stuff.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kylelever
Dont get too jealous guys. Not "my" tools. Im blessed to work for a company that has of this stuff. Im in IT, but will always make sure Im friends with the people that know how to use this stuff.
Your not just blessed to work there, but also to be able to use their tools for side projects. That is very cool.

Progress looks superb.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Hay man, can you share the link to the sketchup you did?
I want the dimensions to start working on my bumper.
I'm in Egypt so instead of paying so much money for shipment + the original price, i want to use your awsome design.

cheers
Old 02-10-2014, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Send me a PM with your email and I will get it sent over!
Old 02-14-2014, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did a test fit last week. Still waiting on the insert from manufacturing. I am also going to start work on a riser/ spacer for the spare tire carrier.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

I'm gonna be starting a bumper build soon out of 3/16 plate

Truly jealous of your access to a brake for steel though. I'm gonna have to cut mine and weld everything together.

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper DIY Style