Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rear Camera Mount Project Finished!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just showing mine

Hey Folks,
All of these are great. I have always used the "hidden in plain sight" method for my Jeeps. I figure that someone--anyone--determined can get in there and really screw stuff up if motivated. So, I try to make it kind of subtle. I also have a three year old and was really concerned about the blind spot on my JK, so here is the backup solution I came up with... Mounted in rear center wheel cap area. The mount is bent aluminum and it is wired in much the same way that is already outlined in this string. My three year old can walk right next (I'm talking shoulder rubbing on the spare) and I catch her entire head and shoulders. The camera is oriented down a little, but not much. The head unit is a kenwood dnx5120 and it works great. I have asked numerous people to go to the back of the truck and find the rear camera. To date, no one has found it until I pointed it out. Thanks to all, great string.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1839v2.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	17966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1840v2.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	17967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1841v2.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	17968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1842v2.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	17969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1843v2.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	17970  

Last edited by Rick; 01-19-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

for those of you using the "pep boys" wireless type camera systems, I realize that camera can be wired into the reverse light w/a relay to have it come on only when the reverse light is on, but what about the display? Have you wired it to only come on again w/the reverse? how did you handle this? seems silly to me to have to turn the display on and off each time. Is there something up front to tap into that would be as easy to use as the reverse light wire behind the tail lights?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by lakeview
for those of you using the "pep boys" wireless type camera systems, I realize that camera can be wired into the reverse light w/a relay to have it come on only when the reverse light is on, but what about the display? Have you wired it to only come on again w/the reverse? how did you handle this? seems silly to me to have to turn the display on and off each time. Is there something up front to tap into that would be as easy to use as the reverse light wire behind the tail lights?
You wire the MONITOR to a constant on...but, it only DISPLAYS when the transmitter on the CAMERA sends it a signal...the screen is dark unless the camera is sending.

The camera only sends when the reverse light is on, providing power....

...so you DO NOT have to manually turn the SCREEN on/off, it just comes on by itself when you shift into reverse.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

thanks man. I can handle that. sounds simple enough. appreciate the help.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great idea. Added to my list...thx, another thing to add to my already expanding to do list
Old 02-27-2010, 05:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I finally received my $18 ebay camera and mounted it today while I was installing my new rear bumper. I was really struggling with placement. With the protection afforded by the Mopar steel bumper, I decided to mount the camera on the plate. The views looked great, even though the camera wasn't in the center of the Jeep. But unfortunately, I checked the views BEFORE I actually installed the bumper! The bumper is blocking the lower view. I'll move the camera to the top of the plate and see how that works. But for today, I'm tired so I'll just live with it for a while to see if I even want to leave it on the stock plate at all, or relocate the plate and camera to the spare.

I wired it to the backup lights for power cause it was right there and easy. Maybe I'll make it always on since I have the AllGIG and can view the camera while driving. We'll see.

Here's the pics:

Last edited by adamisadam; 02-23-2012 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very clean install, I like how well it's hidden!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the pics are gone.... Fail.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J. Dub
All the pics are gone.... Fail.
Refresh your Screen Bro- I never deleted them- they are all there
Old 10-14-2010, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

I want one!!!!

Quick Reply: Rear Camera Mount Project Finished!