Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rear cargo tiedown anchors

Old 02-25-2007, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear cargo tiedown anchors

while loading up the back of my new JK unlimited, I noticed I had no place to anchor down my cargo net. I use this to keep things in the back. In the city it keeps strollers where they belong in case of an accident. In the trail it keeps things from shifting and in their place.

So I had these D rings that I pirated from my old 4runner but the parts could probably be purchased from a hardware store.

parts needed

2- D rings
1- nutsert
1- nutsert intalation tool

Basically the perfect area for the D rings is already there. on either side of the hidden compartment, there is a recess. the D rings can be bolted down in this area without impeading operation of the rear door. Also it must look profeshional and look like it came that way from the factory.

first place the D ring exactly where you want it. and start to drill through the carpet. this will not only open a hole in the carpet for the bolt to pass through but also start to drill in the body below, so you can flip up the carpet and drill the hole and they will be perfectly aligned when done.

Next place the nutsert in the hole. These basically work like rivits in the effect that you put the tool in and a bolt. as you tighten the bolt it mushrooms the blind side and grips the sheat metal. In the end you have a perfect threaded hole and being that this area is sealed and you can not get in there to install a nut it is the perfect part to use. 1 nutsert and tool will cost about 3 bucks.

here are the parts laid out. the nut sert is already installed in the hole.

Here the bolt is being tightened and the nutsert is being mushroomed.

Here the job is done and ready to put the carpet back down and install the D ring

Here is the D ring bolted into the Nutsert.

On the passenger side I used the stud that mounts the subwoofer box. If you do not have the sub there may be a nutsert there already. but if not just repeat the process again.

Now I am ready to strap in my stroller. But since that does not sound manly, and since it is a Rubicon, when on the trail it is used to strap in camping gear and coolers to keep them from shifting around. Or on large steep hills from finding its way into the rear Passenger compartment, or being ejected from the Jeep out the back when driving without a top.

silly engineers. they give us this great 4 door Jeep with no top and expect the crap in the back to stay put by not providing anchor points.

Last edited by gpwpat; 02-25-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Very nice, thanks.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice writeup, looks like I'll be making my way to Home Depot or Tractor Supply to look for a nutsert.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

Great idea. I had never seen the nutserts before... How much do they flare on the back side?

sometimes you feel like a nutsert....
Old 02-26-2007, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the nutserts at ACE Hardware. I do not know what they are actually called. I have heard nutsert before.

But at ACE they were in a drawer labled "blind nut". I used a 1/4-20 size.

Nutsert may be a brand name. Blind nut may be a generic term.

I have never seen how much they mushroom. but they work prety well. and have a finished look to them when installed.

check this site. it has a video that demonstrates how these fasteners work.
http://www.enfasco.com/frame4.htm

a quick serch Nutsert is a brand name. another Brand name is Rivit-Nut. Looks like they all do the same thing.

Last edited by gpwpat; 02-26-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Thumbs up Good Idea

I've been looking a tie down idea.
Thanks.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Thumbs up Where to buy tie down hardware.

I found a couple of websites which has some great tie down hardware.
It's called Expedition Exchange, here's the link: expeditionexchange.com/tiedowns/
The other KMT Trailer Parts, here's the link: kmtparts.com/catalog.asp?prodid=478052&showprevnext=1

Last edited by doojer; 02-12-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: edited non-sponsor link...
Old 02-26-2007, 07:54 PM
JK Freak

Nice post, I'll do this for sure.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedRockJK
Nice writeup, looks like I'll be making my way to Home Depot or Tractor Supply to look for a nutsert.
I went to Home Depot, Lowe's, True Value, & Osh. I couldn't find anything close. They never heard of Nutsert or Blind Nut.
I'm going to order from the web.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:06 PM
JK Super Freak

This place will have what you want, guaranteed. Part number 90186A213 is a Screwdriver-Installed Rivet Nut Zinc-Plated Steel, 1/4"-20, uses a Screwdriver for installation and is good for metal thicknesses of 1/64"-3/16"

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Last edited by RedRockJK; 02-27-2007 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear cargo tiedown anchors