Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rear headrest removal

Old 04-19-2007, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The_Superhoo
dont you have to reconnect the spring hook thing? :confused:
No, all that does is make the headrest move back and forth as you put the seats up or down. Without the springs attached all you have to do is push the headrests (or empty posts) back up manually, then they "click" into place.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

...have an idea in my head how to get rid of the empty posts but still be able to re-attach the headrests later...

...now if I just had the time...

I'll post picts and hardware list when completed...
Old 04-20-2007, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet, thanks in advance
Old 04-20-2007, 12:13 PM
JK Jedi

I can see removing the headrest if only short kids are riding back there. Why not just leave them flipped down so you have them there if an adult climbs in for a ride.

I hate the fact that my sons TJ doesnt have headrests. It bugs me knowing his friends are riding that way in case of a rear end collision.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubimon
I can see removing the headrest if only short kids are riding back there. Why not just leave them flipped down so you have them there if an adult climbs in for a ride.
Only because it looks goofy when the top is down.

BTW- There isn't enough room in the back of my JK for adults- 2 cars seats with another soon to be added. I'll have to post pics w/ all 3 in place. What a cool "mod" that will be.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FiveOff
Only because it looks goofy when the top is down.

BTW- There isn't enough room in the back of my JK for adults- 2 cars seats with another soon to be added. I'll have to post pics w/ all 3 in place. What a cool "mod" that will be.
My situation also. I will have 2 carseats and absolutely no need for headrests on the rear seat.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Hello, watching like a hawk...!! Want to get rid of my posts too..., either that or take the back seats out entirely.. Would be nice to not destroy them so I can put them back on if I ever traded mine in for the 2012 model.!!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

The posts aren't coming off without a fight. Right now, my plan is to cut them off cleanly about 1 to 1.5 " from the bottom and then find some sort of hollow tubing that I can use to link the 2 pieces back together in the future. The tough part will be finding tubing that is thin enough to not be ugly, yet strong enough for safety.

For the moment though, it will have to wait on more pressing matters.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FiveOff
The posts aren't coming off without a fight. Right now, my plan is to cut them off cleanly about 1 to 1.5 " from the bottom and then find some sort of hollow tubing that I can use to link the 2 pieces back together in the future. The tough part will be finding tubing that is thin enough to not be ugly, yet strong enough for safety.

For the moment though, it will have to wait on more pressing matters.
At this stage I want them gone.. don't care how completly and never to return.. When (did I say When? I ment "IF") I sell or trade, the back headrests not being there will not make any difference in the value..!!
Old 05-02-2007, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

one word: Hacksaw

Quick Reply: Rear headrest removal