Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rear Seat Angle Adjustment Write-Up

Old 06-25-2008, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replies

Thanks for the feedback folks. Here are my answers for you questions:

1.) can we get more pics of steps 2-6?
I deleted the pictures for these steps in an effort to get them on the site directly (before I found out about Photobucket) - sorry.

2.) I take it this does not impact the latching at all?
Not from what I can see. The latches are part of the mounting bracket for the seat, but there seems to be no adverse effects.

3.) Also, did you use any locktite on the bolts?
I did not use any lock-tight on the bolts. The washers seem to be concave (or convex) and will compress as you tighten the bolt. That compression seems to be what held them in place for the last year on our PA roads (make a washboard look good).

4.) is the mount still strong as if it were still stock?
From what I can see - Yes. I used to perform this same modification on damaged traffic poles to get them upright after an accident. Dozens of times the pole would get again and again, but the washers and bolts held on until the baseplate was distorted or ripped apart from the steel poles.

5.) i have kids and comfort is important, but safety is the most important to me.
Not a question here. I too have the kids in the back seat, and I'm not risking their safety for anything.

6.) I assume Step 5 is to keep the seat bottom at the same (or similar) angle, and could be skipped, resulting in a more 'office chair reclined' feel, rather than just a more angled seatback.
Actually step 5 is what performs the reclining effect on the seat back. The seat cushion mount is completely independant of the seat back. Once the seat cushion mounts are unbolted you'll see that it moves up and down freely from the seat back. If you're satisfied with the seat cushion angle - then skip the Step 6 washers. For me it felt a little like I was going to slide my 'Biggie' sized carcass off the seat when braking hard. Little cheeks could probably nestle into the cushions a little better.

7.) I would like to see a small block of 6061 aluminum that is the same size as the footprint of the bracket.
Me too Racer, me too. You go ahead and fab one up, and I'll 'test' it out for ya (Love that avatar of yours). Seriously though, I'll keep an I out for bendage on the bracket mount.

8.) I would probably buy new bolts that are 4-washer-thickness longer, so you've got the same amount of threads keepin the seat down.
You certainly could get longer bolts, but my take is that these things are Puh-Lenty long threaded. I'd say you could go as far as 6 washers before you would have to consider a longer set of bolts...but opinions vary. Check out the very first picture. I'd be more concerned that the thin steel mount bracket would bend before these bolts pull loose.

Well it's truely an honor to be the King of the $6 modification... At least I'm the King of something
Old 06-26-2008, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, this mod just seems incredibly unsafe to me. Traffic poles are one thing, but car seats that your ass is strapped to is a completely different animal. Jeep made the seat height the way it is for a reason. By adding washers, you are raising the height of the seat and passengers (load) effectively increasing the leverage of the seat against the mounts. If you were ever to get into a crash it would take less force for the bolts to completely snap and you to go flying into your windshield/dashboard. The fact that you didn't even check the specific torque of the bolts for the seats is just unthinkable. The bolts need to be stretched to their proper length under load to provide maximum strength to the seat frame. This isn't something like your sun visor bolts that you can just tighten with a socket and ratchet. Why do you think they were so hard to remove? They also used the length of bolts that they did for a reason.

So, for anyone thinking about doing this mod, I would double think it, because it's your ass on the line. Do what you want, but no way in hell am I touching my seat mounts.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ColinW
Wow, this mod just seems incredibly unsafe to me. Traffic poles are one thing, but car seats that your ass is strapped to is a completely different animal. Jeep made the seat height the way it is for a reason. By adding washers, you are raising the height of the seat and passengers (load) effectively increasing the leverage of the seat against the mounts. If you were ever to get into a crash it would take less force for the bolts to completely snap and you to go flying into your windshield/dashboard. The fact that you didn't even check the specific torque of the bolts for the seats is just unthinkable. The bolts need to be stretched to their proper length under load to provide maximum strength to the seat frame. This isn't something like your sun visor bolts that you can just tighten with a socket and ratchet. Why do you think they were so hard to remove? They also used the length of bolts that they did for a reason.

So, for anyone thinking about doing this mod, I would double think it, because it's your ass on the line. Do what you want, but no way in hell am I touching my seat mounts.

I think with this type of thought a person would never modify ANY part of their vehicle.

Also your seat belts are not connected to the seat itself.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ColinW

Your seat does not hold you in place, your seat belt does. It appears the seat belt bolts were never tampered with.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shredX
Your seat does not hold you in place, your seat belt does. It appears the seat belt bolts were never tampered with.
Yes, I know that the seatbelt holds you in place in the event of a crash, but think of the situation if you have someone or something heavy in the cargo area that isn't strapped in and they go flying into the seats. That could possibly be a lot of force exerted against the seats and the mounts.

I know it is probably a long shot, and I know there are probably an infinite number of different situtations that can occur in an accident, but I would like to think that if I am ever in an aweful crash I didn't contribute to someone I really care about getting injured or killed, as well as myself, that's all.

Last edited by User 12721; 06-26-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

good idea, but was wondering if you have any pics with the seat folded down, and does it effect the movement of the seat when folding?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like this one too, and there are three machine shops right around this area. I will look into the cost of this and research more on the right angle to use for all types of riders. Thanks JOE>
Old 07-12-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Lightbulb Rear seat mod modifed

I like the idea here and thanks for sharing it.
I have adapted your idea and instead of using 1/2" washers, I bought steel bar stock and cut and drilled to fit the whole "footprint" of the rear seat floor mounts. It is the same thickness as 4 stacked washers in front and 3 stacked washers for the back rear seat legs.
here's some picture with dimensions too.
The rear seat is much more comfortable now.
Thanks again for the great idea!!

Just a note: sorry some of the pictures are fuzzy, but it will give you the idea.

4 bars for the front at 1.5 X 2.5 inches and 2 x 4 inch rear bar stock for the rear.
[IMG][/IMG]

bar stock is same thickness as 4 washers in front and 3 washers in back.
[IMG][/IMG]

Rear seat, rear post installed 2x4 inch bar stock.
[IMG][/IMG]

Rear seat lifted up exposing work area.
[IMG][/IMG]

rear seat front post 1.5x2.5"
[IMG][/IMG]

Rear seat front post with installed steel bar stock.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-12-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what you call progress. If they won't sell it right, we'll build it right. Thanks for these awesome posts...I hope this is safe....

BTW...it seems like the barstock raises the seat but how does it tilt it back? I thought the point was to create an angle. Is there something I'm not seeing?
EDIT: Nevermind...the bars go only on the front.... :-)

Last edited by justinstoffregen; 07-12-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by justinstoffregen
This is what you call progress. If they won't sell it right, we'll build it right. Thanks for these awesome posts...I hope this is safe....

BTW...it seems like the bar stock raises the seat but how does it tilt it back? I thought the point was to create an angle. Is there something I'm not seeing?
EDIT: Nevermind...the bars go only on the front.... :-)
The 4 front bars gives the seat some lift under the front edge of the seat ( right at the back of the thigh. It feels more like a bucket seat that holds you in the seat, instead of sliding off of the front edge of the seat.

The 3 back bars gives the seat the reclining feel. When you lift the back bolt down seat leg with the seat unbolted you can see the reclining "action"as you lift up on the back seat mount. The mount is mounted at a angle. The angle with the lift of the bar stock gives the recline feel. The thicker the bar stock the more tilt back you have. I think this is completely safe. If you want to make sure buy new bolts that is as long as the bar stock and you back to stock with the bolt length. Make sure the bolts are high strength too.
Hope this helps.
Take care.

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Angle Adjustment Write-Up