Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rear storage tub enlargement

Old 06-26-2007, 05:41 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear storage tub enlargement

It's not completely finished, but good enough to show.

This one is fairly self explanatory. We made a Steel tub and coated it with LineX.

The opening is about 26" X 13", and it's about 6.5" deep. The tub sides at the front and both sides had to taper in, in order to allow room for the upper shock mounts. The back side is bolted to the "front side" of the jack storage tub (if that makes any sense). Pics will tell a much better story, than I.

I'd like to personally thank RockRash for his help on this. He did all the metal work, and hooked me up with the LineX. I'm stoked that I can store some more stuff.

Notes added 6/30/07:
We used 16 Gauge Steel. Had it coated with Linex prior to install, and used Herculiner to touch up after installation.
Used 3/16" SS bolts with lock nuts, on the sides. On the front lip, it is very difficult to get the nut on the bolt. I ended up using 3/16" SS rivots. I would recommend using rivots on the front lip, if not all the way around.

Here are a couple of diagrams. These are not to scale, and I would highly recommend measuring everything for your self. Please do not rely soley on my numbers.

I can think of some changes that could be made to make more space, but this is what worked for me. For instance, you could do the sides of the tub at 90 degrees to the bottom, and have a greater angle on the front to work around the upper shock mounts. I'd encourage you to get under your jeep and lets see what ya got.

Last edited by Woods; 06-29-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome mod ! I want to do this. Can you post some simple drawings and measurements of the panels you used to weld it up?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ditto! This is an excellent mod I've been thinking about but needed to see someone on this forum try it first. Did you have to make a new top cover or will the stock one fit? Now that you've built this, are you happy with the dimensions or could it be made larger. I want to store all my tools and recovery gear out of site and locked if possible and need all the storage space I can get in my 2 door.

Great job and thanks. More pictures please
Old 06-26-2007, 07:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job boys!
Now that's a mod. If it was a wooden box you were gonna hear some crap.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:19 PM
JK Jedi

Still waiting on someone to move the 2dr exhaust before I can do this one! Nice Job!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:33 PM
JK Freak

I moved the exhaust on my two door, and am going to do this soon. It looks friggen great.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:41 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by dunemobbin
I moved the exhaust on my two door, and am going to do this soon. It looks friggen great.
Got pics? Which exhaust? PM me any info if you can. Dont want to Hijack the thread.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you leave a lip on the box so it doesn't fill with water like the stock storage?

Nice mod. Now I have to find a welder....
Old 06-27-2007, 08:06 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by drbeddow
Awesome mod ! I want to do this. Can you post some simple drawings and measurements of the panels you used to weld it up?
My JK is not here with me today. I'll get some basic dims up, as I get some time. But by far the best tip that I can give you, is to make it out of cardboard first. We originally planned to have the top lip of the tub mount over the top of the cut-out, but this made it difficult to close the stock cover. I ended up having to remove the rear sway bar to mount the tub from underneath.

Originally Posted by jeepbozo
Did you have to make a new top cover or will the stock one fit? Now that you've built this, are you happy with the dimensions or could it be made larger. More pictures please
I am still using the stock cover. I didn't see a need that justified building a new one, though security would be a need for some folks. The dimensions are good. It could be made larger, but the fabrication would be much more complex. It would have to be built around the rear sway-bar. I don't think that I would have changed much. What other pics would you like to see?

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)
Nice job boys!
Now that's a mod. If it was a wooden box you were gonna hear some crap.
Yeah, I figure any real mod involves removing steel from your Jeep with a power tool. Even the Precision Mirror drilling is questionable, in my book.

Originally Posted by Grant211
great mod.... i would of probably drilled a few small holes in the bottom of it, so it wouldn't hold water.
Nope. I live in SoCal. The only water in this tub will be from beer over ice.

Last edited by Woods; 06-27-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great mod. This one will go down in JK history right along will the drilled mirror mod

Quick Reply: Rear storage tub enlargement