Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Reds fender trim with detailed pics and video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reds fender trim with detailed pics and video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I have watched, read, and dreamed about cutting my fenders and I finally did it

Thanks to all those who have posted write ups and pics and answered my many questions

So here is my version very similar to all the rest but I tried many tools and after doing it have some advice for those who want to try it.

So here goes,

First tape them off of coarse

My best friend is an auto body guy so he did alot of the work and gave me advice and we tried several ways to make it work and be easy.

I figured out it is best to remove the under guard first and remove the light socket on the side. So that way you may want to use it for a marker light mod which is what I am working on now.

To remove the under guard first remove the rivets along the edge on the front the easiest way is an air chisel sharped of course

Then pop out all the little plugs that hold it in, BEWARE my buddie had more of these plugs also called xmas trees you need them because they are very easy to ruin or break Here is the tool I used to remove the xmas trees

Here are some extra xmas tree plugs

Here is close up of one, he said they are cheap and you can buy them at any auto body shop

Lay under guard to the side

Then cut fenders I first tried an air grinder first a shallow run to line it then a deep cut to go all the way through.

Here is the air grinder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHkokWzb67o

Then I tried a sawzall and it worked the best so cut those fenders off, it is best to have someone hold the fender for support so it vibrates less but it could be done alone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ_mfzMZ7Zg

Then you have to trim some of the lower hanging brackets that connected the sides

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73K5OdjXn_s

Here is the fender cut but without the under guard

Then set under guard back in to see where to cut it, I taped it off and cut it with snips

Here are the snips

Here it is with the under supports trimmed and under guard in

I also put one screw in to hold the side of the under guard in near the back of the wheel well, I drilled through the plastic and metal and drill screwed it in, it made the under guard alot more sturdy

Then sand the edges with 80 grit sand paper on a block and get them a little rounded.

Clean the edges with a solvent

Apply the plastic door trim along the edge then use a heat gun to heat it up and press it against the fenders hold for a few seconds

Ok now to the back fenders mask them with tape

Then use an air chisel to pop the rivets along the side again and pull all the xmas plugs and pull out of the rear under guard and I did not re-install the rear under guards

Cut rear fenders with sawzall,

sand and repeat the steps to apply door trim.

Next I am cutting that bumper!!!!!

I hope this helps.

Here are some finished pics, I figured I can always go skinnier but I can't make them wider again, so maybe I went a little too wide I tried to keep a little of the curve because they are alot stronger that way.

I am happy

Red

p.s. I also trimmed a small corner of the front scoop below the bumper cause my 35's where rubbing at full turn in reverse.

**** I have since added some super glue to places on the door trim on the fenders where mud had pushed it down, now it stays up and looks great!

Ok what do you all think of the write up?

And what do you think of the work?

Update 2012 still holding up great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	newwheelswinchandtires2.jpg
Views:	8783
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	274624

Last edited by TheonlyREDhead 2008 JK; 02-06-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I really did not need to see this today...
I have been thinking about this for a while now, and now this write up.

Maybe its a sign

Great work though!
Old 04-02-2009, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

nice work
Old 04-02-2009, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

WOW!! great write up and great job!!! on my day off last week i went outside and was going to do this but decided not to b/c i just didnt feel comfortable enough to do everything right and make it look good......well i have since changed my mind about that after seeing this write up! thanks so much for sharing and putting so much detail into this ....i love the look from front view..........i will definately be looking for a write up on your bumper chop if you plan on doing one....again thanks for sharing
Old 04-02-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Great job, I'm also planning on cutting my rears this weekend!
Old 04-02-2009, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

great write up and awsome idea to include videos along with the process im definitly gunna have to give this a shot now
Old 04-02-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Freak

Heath, this iHas me thinking. Now I'm starting top scratch my head a little about doing this.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Awesome Job! I did mine couple weeks ago and love them. I did the same as you did, and left mine wider so I could cut off more if i wanted to narrow them down. Great write up and awesome job with the vids. That should help other whom are a little timid to do this mod.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

Great job red! ,many will follow i'm sure.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Great job Red! Can't wait to see that thing up close...

Quick Reply: Reds fender trim with detailed pics and video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!