Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rigid D2 fog light install using factory fog switch and new relay

Old 11-03-2013, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rigid D2 fog light install using factory fog switch and new relay

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I decided that I wanted to switch out the factory fog lights on my 2011 JK with a pair of Rigid D2's.

For me, it was important to avoid the LED flicker that some people report when wiring the LED's directly the the factory fog light harness (The flicker happens after the Jeep has been turned off). I also wanted to use the existing fog light switch on the factory light stalk (no new switches in the cab).

To do this, the LED lights are powered directly from the battery. The existing fog light harness triggers a new relay that switches power to the LED's.

I hadn't found any write ups for this, so I thought today would be a long day of figuring out things as I went. To my surprise, it was actually a pretty easy install. This is partly due to the Rigid wiring harness already including a relay wired for the lights so I didn't have to wire my own.

Here is what the Rigid D2 harness looks like.
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring harness.jpg
Views:	4497
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	509554

On the left are the connectors that connect directly to the LED lights. Bottom middle are the battery connections with in-line fuse. Right side are the switch connectors and new relay.

Close up of the switch connectors.

Name:	switch connections.jpg
Views:	3555
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	509555

Black is ground. Blue is the switch, Red is power for the switch. We will not be using the red wire for this install.

Here is what the fog light connector looks like. One wire is White/Orange and the other is Black.

Name:	factory fog connector.jpg
Views:	10868
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	509556

To get the factory fog light switch to trigger the new relay, simply wire the White/Orange wire of the factory connector to the Blue wire in the harness, and the Black to Black. The red wire is not used.

Name:	harness to factory connection.jpg
Views:	10151
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	509557

Make sure to tape up the end of the red wire to prevent it shorting out against the frame. It carries 12V power. Also tape up the other factory fog light connector. We only need to wire up 1 of the them to trigger the relay.

And that's it! Wire up everything else like normal in the provided D2 instructions. You will need to mount the relay somewhere under the hood. I located mine near the fuse box.

The D2 fogs operate just like the factory fogs using the factory switch. And no flickering after the Jeep has been turned off.

Name:	done.jpg
Views:	5279
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	509558
Old 11-03-2013, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great write up. I've been wanting to do this for quite some time now but saving for a house is slightly more important lol...subscribed

Sent from my phone that Obama doesn't pay for!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

fog lights do not appear to be bright. how are they?
Old 11-06-2013, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wich Rufus's did you go with in the gigs flood or spot or flood diffused thanks I'm doing this soon already have the brackets
Old 11-06-2013, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FINCH
Wich Rufus's did you go with in the gigs flood or spot or flood diffused thanks I'm doing this soon already have the brackets
Rigid lights I mean dang auto correct
Old 11-06-2013, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

They're plenty bright for my needs. Mainly, I wanted something I could use when I'm up in the mountains during a blizzard just to cut through the snow.

They're the D2 Driving pattern. I'll try to take a picture of them shooting down the road at night this weekend.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Preston5280
They're plenty bright for my needs. Mainly, I wanted something I could use when I'm up in the mountains during a blizzard just to cut through the snow. They're the D2 Driving pattern. I'll try to take a picture of them shooting down the road at night this weekend.
Sounds good I got the spots on my a pillars but they suck in bad rain or snow mounted in that location
Old 11-07-2013, 10:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Preston5280
They're plenty bright for my needs. Mainly, I wanted something I could use when I'm up in the mountains during a blizzard just to cut through the snow.

They're the D2 Driving pattern. I'll try to take a picture of them shooting down the road at night this weekend.

I'm thinking about getting them pics will be helpful.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you make a bracket to get them to fit into the stock holes?
Old 11-10-2013, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fultonromero12
did you make a bracket to get them to fit into the stock holes?
There are kits now that enable you to mount them there, I have read it's easy enough to w/ out it. Quadratec sells them, they are listed in the most recent catalog

Quick Reply: Rigid D2 fog light install using factory fog switch and new relay