Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rigid D2 fog light install using factory fog switch and new relay

Old 04-10-2014, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about wiring them directly to the battery and still wiring them inline with the factory fog light wiring and eliminating the use of the provided switch. I'm not sure if it will work though.

What type of relay are you guys using to wire them too? Any pics
Old 04-12-2014, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone have any suggestions :::bump:::::

Sent from my phone that Obama doesn't pay for!
Old 04-25-2014, 04:36 AM
JK Newbie

yeah, right now i have my factory fogs cut off and put the d2 in its place. But i want to know how can i make them stay on during my high beams. Alaska gets really dark.

I have flood pattern and they are brighter then my truck lites
Old 07-13-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sandypants
yeah, right now i have my factory fogs cut off and put the d2 in its place. But i want to know how can i make them stay on during my high beams. Alaska gets really dark.

I have flood pattern and they are brighter then my truck lites
If you're using the stock fog light switch to trigger the relay then the high beams will still trigger the fog light cutoff. The easiest way to fix this would be to use a FlashCal or similar ECM tuner/calibration device to change the factory setting to "fogs on with high beams". I did this on my 2013 sport using the FlashCal I got for calibrating my speedo when I got bigger tires. Got it off autoanything.com for $110 shipped.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chiper4
I got these lights (KC HiLites 6" Apollo Pro Series 100 Watt Long Range Lamp System with Stone Guards in Black) with a Smittybilt bumper I just mounted. Is there any reason why I couldn't hook these lights up the same way & be able to use the stock fog light switch to turn them on?
Pointless this late except for future searchers-but that is a very high amp draw for stock fog lights wiring and relay etc. The led lights ony use like 18watts each or something like that compared to your 100 each.

You could still use the fog light power as a trigger for your own provided wiring and relay. This will act as the switch, trigger your relay to come on and send power to the lights.

Just make sure the relay is appropriately sized - I would use 25amp and up. Actual amp draw for you will be closer to 17 at 12vdc but you want safety room.

Edit to say that I am no expert in car electronics so take my tips with caution haha! I'm sure people have wired lights and been successful, but no one wants a jeep fire
Old 08-06-2014, 07:24 PM
JK Newbie

How does the rigid lighting compare to the factory fog lights? I am curious if they produce that much more light. Or if people are just installing them to have LEDs? What is everyone using for headlights? Is there a brand of LEDs that match up well with the rigid?
Old 09-21-2014, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

very cool write up
Old 09-22-2014, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rlbol
How does the rigid lighting compare to the factory fog lights? I am curious if they produce that much more light. Or if people are just installing them to have LEDs? What is everyone using for headlights? Is there a brand of LEDs that match up well with the rigid?
i installed the rigid dually floods in place of my factory fogs anf they are ridiculously brighter than my truck lites, but they go really well together and are much bigger improvement over stock lights.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Default D-2 Spot

Anybody see any advantage of D2's vs Dually's? Which would be better as a fog light ? Thank you !
Old 09-28-2014, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by river115
Anybody see any advantage of D2's vs Dually's? Which would be better as a fog light ? Thank you !
Use the D2 driving pattern of your going Rigid thats the best pattern and the difference is 4 (3w LEDs) vs 6 (5w LEDs).

Quick Reply: Rigid D2 fog light install using factory fog switch and new relay