Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rock Hard license plate relocation bracket + ORO LED PlateLite install on XRC bumper

Old 06-18-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rock Hard license plate relocation bracket + ORO LED PlateLite install on XRC bumper

First of all, I have to say that this is a great mod that is inexpensive (under $100) and actually provides some insurance in regards to not having to ever deal with a damaged OEM license plate bracket being damaged.

With that said, the entire install should take you less than 1 hr with simple hand tools and some electrical goodies. Mine took a bit longer as I wanted to hide the wiring for the ORO LED lights since I have a swing out tire carrier (Smittybilt XRC bumper).

I would also like to giver props to eMetal who inspired me on how to run the wiriing through my bumper. The original consensus was to thread a string through the carrier and then use a hair dryer to blow it through to the other end at which time I could tie the end of the string to the wiring and then pull it through. The problem I ran into was that the tubing was completely sealed up and I didn't want to have to drill some huge holes in it just for the install.

I've got a bunch of photos of taking off the OEM license plate bracket but forgot to upload them so I'll do that later for anyone who is interested. It's really just 4 small bolts and a quick tug to get it off. I ended up purchasing the MOPAR license plate bracket filler plug for $13 from my local dealer. The part number is 55397112AA (thanks to Redneckjeep who posted it in another thread a long while back). The hardest part was removing two screw inserts from some holes where the plug fits in. Once those are out, you just pop the plug in.

Here is where I started the Rock Hard relocation bracket install....

What I ended up doing was drilling a couple 5/16" or so holes, one directly below where the wiring ran down where the tire mounts and then another at the end of the swing arm right before where the hinge pin is located.

I used some kite string from one of my kids broken kites as it is a lightweight thread. I then taped a small piece of electrical tape to one end to give it just a tad bit more weight and then threaded it through the first hole. Using my shop vac, I sucked the sting through the other hole. Now mind you, this was simpler said than done. It took me at least a half an hour to do this! Once I did get the string through the other end, I simply taped the end of the ORO wiring to the sting and pulled it all through.

Next I removed the passenger side taillight (just two screws on the left side of it, the other 2 screws in the lens are to hold a spacer that wraps around the edge of the Jeep). I did this since it was close and the ORO wiring is only so long and I had to use a couple feet of it inside the spare tire swing arm. This now exposed the taillight wiring which is all you need to wire the ORO LED light. I suggest using some of the wiring splicers I have in the pic below. You don't have to cut any of the OEM wiring (in case you ever need to convert it back) and it's a quick splice.

After some trial and error, I figured out which of the OEM wires do what. The ORO instructions only tell you what their wires do so use my match-ups below using the following naming convention....

OEM COLOR / ORO COLOR / WHAT IT DOES:

White with yellow line / Red / Brake light
White with purple line / Green / Parking lights with license plate late
White with tan line / Black / Ground

Once all the wiring was done and tested, I wrapped it all in electrical tape then put the taillight back together.

And now came the FUN part....putting the spare (40x15.50R20 which must weigh at least 200+lbs) back on over the Rock Hard plate. The plate by the way goes on first over the wheel studs and then you put the tire on. You'll need to remove your center cap if you have one.

What's nice about the ORO Platelite kit is that the wiring comes in two sections with a nice weather-proof connector in the middle. You simply push the two halves together to make the connection.

You can see in the mock-up I did below how everything comes together...

And now the final product:

Running light only....

Just the plate light illuminated...

The LED brake light plus the plate light....

Brake light only....

Everything illuminated....

And some daylight shots...

Old 06-18-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:.
nicely done
did you touch up the holes you drilled?
Yeah I have to go back and squirt some epoxy or caulk around where the wires come out so no water gets in. I just didn't have any on hand last night.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I PM'ed you regarding your stock bracket - do you still have it?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sik jeep man.

I like that bumper.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

this is exactly what i plan to do, ordered the plug last night and the oro kit will be ordered tonight. looks great
Old 06-18-2009, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by amt97
I PM'ed you regarding your stock bracket - do you still have it?
Hey I PM'd him a few days ago man!! I got dibs! lol...
Old 06-18-2009, 01:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Hey guys, I got the PMs about my old license plate bracket. I haven't been able to get to the post office to figure out if it will ship flat rate or for how much yet. I'll respond though as soon as I do.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:40 PM
JK Freak

I just installed this setup too. Pretty clean! USPS will ship old bracket for less than 20 bucks anywhere in US. You can use their box 12" by 12" by 8".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00311.jpg
Views:	20586
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	25730  

Last edited by Augie; 06-22-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:15 PM
JK Super Freak

sweet! i just got mine in the mail today!

gonna wait till my LoD bumper gets here tomorrow to install it though. Thanks for the write up!

Quick Reply: Rock Hard license plate relocation bracket + ORO LED PlateLite install on XRC bumper