Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rock Hard license plate relocation bracket + ORO LED PlateLite install on XRC bumper

Old 01-22-2013, 03:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loserhead4236

Check post number 32 in this thread. This is the wiring method I used. You have to snip a wire from the harness that goes to your existing stock tailgate light which is for the rock hard brake light. The other 2 wires on your jk ( black and white w/ purple) will be going directly to the tailgate lamp so you will have to undo the screws on the rear passenger tail lamp to make all of these splices. Lemme know if you need any more help.
Thanks bud. Second time around was much easier to do and also much cleaner install. I found another thread that had a photo explaining the different wires to tap in to and made sense after reading like 20+ posts regarding problems during install.

Biggest problem I ran into was the removal of the stock license plate frame since the bottom two bolts were sandwiches my aftermarket bumper. Rather than making the install go that much longer I just ripped it off. I'll post photos in a few.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thinking about doing this mod myself, but thought I would pass on some info. If you want to know which wire to tap into, open your tailgate and pop off the two blck plastic covers. You can trace the wires that exit through the rear door for the third brake light (only two wires total for ground and power) and follow these all the way back to where you tap them in the tub. Just did this for the lite dot mod for the rear third brake light, but thinking of converting to the spare mounted license plate instead.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

I have the parts to do this but did it come with bolts to attach the license plate to the bracket? Or did you just go get some. I'm thinking about just grabbing some quarter 20 hardware
Old 02-26-2014, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mountain pee
I have the parts to do this but did it come with bolts to attach the license plate to the bracket? Or did you just go get some. I'm thinking about just grabbing some quarter 20 hardware
The fasteners are not included.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

How is it removing everything to get to the spare tire? Contemplating this mod but having 2nd thoughts thinking about 5 tire rotations
Old 03-29-2014, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon85
How is it removing everything to get to the spare tire? Contemplating this mod but having 2nd thoughts thinking about 5 tire rotations
Not a big deal, I rotate at oil changes. Depends on how much you drive I guess.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

contemplating this mod, I like the look of the plate in the mid of the spare, rather than on the driver side
Old 04-29-2014, 07:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon85
It's not a problem. I had this on my Rubi LJ. Was easy to disconnect and I always do five tire rotations.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

New guy here...matter of fact, I found this place while googling ORO PlateLite install.

I have a 2015 JKU Sport.

So the kit shows up on my doorstep Saturday from QT. I install it. First issue, I had the blinking brake light.

Today (Monday) I dig deeper in the thread and find how to tap into the tailgate and the third brake light. I do that (splicing the brown/white to red) and now no more blinking brake light.
I basically pulled the red white from the harness and directed it down the tailgate to the factory harness for the 3rd brake light. I spliced there, then left everything else connected to the passenger side tail light. (ground, and green wire for white LED)

Tonight, I go out and eat. I get back home and double check everything. Here's the latest issue I have.

When the brake light is on the plate light and the factory 3rd brake light, my white LEDs go out on my license plate. When my brake isn't pressed, the white LEDs on the license plate are lit.

When the harness is tapped into the factory wiring like what's in the original post, everything works except the brake light blinks when the right turn signal is on or the hazards are on.

I'm debating just removing the splicer from the red in the hardness and the brown white in the tailgate so the white LED will stay on while the brake is pressed. I just like having the LED brake light there since my 35" spare covers the factory third brake light. If there's someone right behind me with their lights on, it isn't going to matter and shouldn't be noticeable.

Last edited by TheBUNKY_1974; 03-23-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBUNKY_1974

When the harness is tapped into the factory wiring like what's in the original post, everything works except the brake light blinks when the right turn signal is on or the hazards are on.
I thought the trick was to tap into the wiring harness on the side of the plug that's furthest from the brake light. I haven't dug into mine yet, but I believe that's the female end.

Quick Reply: Rock Hard license plate relocation bracket + ORO LED PlateLite install on XRC bumper