Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rugged Ridge EXO-Top Installation and Review

Old 04-13-2016, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteRavenRR
I got mine installed yesterday.

3. Has anyone found any baskets that fits the cage from the front crossbar to the rear crossbar? I know that Rugged Ridge makes a small basket that's about the size of the back half of the cage but I would like something just a little bigger. I know there is a 300 lb. weight limit on the cage itself. I would like to get some of the camping gear out of the cab and put up top.
I installed the Yakima Megawarrior on mine. If you got the 22" extension it would fit from front to back.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9469.JPG
Views:	601
Size:	814.3 KB
ID:	643701
Its the only basket that I found was wide enough for me. Keep an eye on Amazon for it, as it got down to $324 w/free shipping from ecustomhitch

I build a platform behind mine for rotopax/gas cans so it works out good in the forward position.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9484.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	689.6 KB
ID:	643703
If you want a cargo net option that fits good too. I got the Gladiator Rubicon cargo net. Great quality and tie downs. I made some small soft shackles as anchor points for the tie downs so you don't scratch up the paint.

I took my wind fairing off as it will pushes down the softtop and makes it flop at >60MPH
I am going to try and wrap a bungee around the front bar as some say works for reduced noise.

Last edited by trevorsmith; 04-21-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:34 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. I found that Yakima would be the way to go. It looks like you were able to mount the basket directly to the cross bars without using the crossbar adapters?

What is this bungee wrap that you speak of? I have not heard of this.

Last edited by WhiteRavenRR; 04-16-2016 at 03:36 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:51 AM
JK Newbie

My top flops against the cage and it got really loud when we had to load a big box up top. I was hoping that the wind fairing would reduce that. We have a 5 hour trip to Branson coming up in the next month and a half and I hope to find some way to reduce the flapping.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. I found that Yakima would be the way to go. It looks like you were able to mount the basket directly to the cross bars without using the crossbar adapters?

What is this bungee wrap that you speak of? I have not heard of this.
I just used the provided mounts that came with the basket and mounted to the front and middle crossbar of the EXO top. The mounts are really close to the fabric top but have not seen any wear yet.

Name:	IMG_9558.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	491.7 KB
ID:	644471
I used solid rubber bungee on mine vs the typical bungee. Almost zero noise from the basket now. My top stopped flapping at speeds. Way better then the plastic wind fairing. Was really surprised it worked but it does. I just removed the S hooks, ziptied 2 together and then wrapped around bar and ziptied the ends to the bars. I'm very happy with it now.

This is the type of bungee I used:Click image for larger version

Name:	bungee.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	644479

Last edited by trevorsmith; 04-21-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

My top flops against the cage and it got really loud when we had to load a big box up top. I was hoping that the wind fairing would reduce that. We have a 5 hour trip to Branson coming up in the next month and a half and I hope to find some way to reduce the flapping.
I found that the wind fairing just pushed more air against the top and made it flap worse. Might be a front pressure thing vs creating a vacuum that pulls the top up like it should. But the bungee wrap works great. Im surprised your material hits anything. Sounds like the velcro might not be pulled tight enough on the ends or the straps. I do velcro sides first, then top straps loops, then push up the crossbar(s).
I did a good amount of driving last weekend with top front open and basket on top and hardly even noticed it was up there now that I have the bungee thing up there.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

It's not too bad when there isn't much wind even while driving. Here in Oklahoma, the wind has been howling and driving at highway speeds just exacerbates the buffeting. If the wind is not blowing very hard then it really isn't too unbearable.

In regards to the bungee, I thought you initially meant you wrapped it around one of the riser bars under the top. Now I understand. That's strange how that works to keep the noise down.

Thanks for the pics.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 81redbug
#1. I've been messing with mine for a week now. It took some trial and error, but the side windows do fit into the door surrounds. It's important to get the top zipper and the Velcro at the top of the window fastened correctly to make it fit right on the doors.

#2. It rained pretty hard here last night and and the middle section between the two bars was FULL of water. Pushed up on it from the back seat with the doors closed and only got a few drops in the jeep by the door surrounds. Like you said, the front has no seal over the surrounds. My passenger side stayed dry, but the driver side had some leakage and the door surround was completely full of water. I hit a bump and got a quick bath. Going to have to figure out a way to keep water out of there. Seems like a poor design in that area.

no info/opinion about the basket. I use bike racks ups there.

-redbug

I was all set to buy one of these unit i read about the water pooling,top not going into the window surrounds, and top flapping against the rack... Can i get a update from you guys - are you still having this issues? Did you find a way to correct? Are you overall happy with the top?
Old 04-30-2016, 04:53 AM
JK Newbie

I've grown to like the top more every day. I just ordered a Yakima LoadWarrior rack. I didn't go with the larger MegaWarrior as I have built a 6" PVC tube for my fishing poles to mount along side the basket to the rack.

Water does pool above the front section of the top in heavy rain while parked. Rugged Ridge needs to address this with a bow across the front similar in design to the Trektop NX. That's all it would take to fix the pooling.

I initially installed the top and had it up for sale within 2 days but I have learned to operate the top and I have had very minimal leaks compared to other soft tops.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

I ended up with the LoadWarrior today. I may buy the extension later on. This one gives me room for my fishing pole tube to go on one side.

Name:	image-636558048.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	538.7 KB
ID:	645918
Old 05-03-2016, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

I ended up with the LoadWarrior today. I may buy the extension later on. This one gives me room for my fishing pole tube to go on one side.

Attachment 645918
how about a side view?

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge EXO-Top Installation and Review