Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Run/accy relay? JK wont start

Old 09-24-2016, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run/accy relay? JK wont start

Yesterday my 08 JK started fine as always and after a short stop it would not restart. It only made a single click sound from under the hood. I dont think it's my yellow Optima battery. I still have lights and power. AAA tried to jump start it but it did nothing but click. Then my alarm tried to turn on with a slow murmur and then i heard rapid clicking in the fuse box under the hood. My 2 run/accy rly and run rly started to click rapidly so i disconnected the battery. After reconnecting that has not happened again. Do you think my relays are bad? Ive only have 49k on the 08.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

Could be several things but in my experience it is usually a bad connection at the battery. Yes your lights and radio will work but the vehicular won't start. Make sure your connection are well seated and snug.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

I agree start with connection. Relay issues are fairly rare.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

I tried to put my gf's battery in to see if that helped and as soon as the cables touched the towers my horn and wipers started going off and the cables started to smoke and get very hot? I havent tried my battery again yet but it reads a full charge on my charger. Taking it in for diagnostics.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

That is starting to sound like a grounding problem. Definitely get that to a qualified tech. Don't want to mess around and burn up your rig!
Old 08-19-2019, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JVP RUBICON
Yesterday my 08 JK started fine as always and after a short stop it would not restart. It only made a single click sound from under the hood. I dont think it's my yellow Optima battery. I still have lights and power. AAA tried to jump start it but it did nothing but click. Then my alarm tried to turn on with a slow murmur and then i heard rapid clicking in the fuse box under the hood. My 2 run/accy rly and run rly started to click rapidly so i disconnected the battery. After reconnecting that has not happened again. Do you think my relays are bad? Ive only have 49k on the 08.
SOS I know this is an old feed, but I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler that I just had this happen to today! Please let me know how you resolved the issue and what it was???! Please help SOS

Quick Reply: Run/accy relay? JK wont start