Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Runcool Louvers Installed

Old 06-06-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Runcool Louvers Installed

I cant take complete credit for the method I used here but I couldn't find a writeup so here's mine.

I decided to try some louvers to decrease under hood temps. My intake temps were running around 160 normal driving. If the intake temps are that hot just imagine how hot all those wires, hoses, and even the onboard compressor gets. Hot enough to burn you after wheeling that's for sure.

There are a couple of different companies that makes louvers. After searching around I decided on RunCool louvers: http://www.raceace.com. These are the Large High Flow set, powder coated aluminum flat black.

It took 3.5 hours start to finish. I started by removing the hood and placing it on some sawhorses.

Next I taped the hell out of the hood to give it some obvious protection for what was to come. Place the louvers in the desired location then trace around.

Remove the louvers then draw 1" inside the outer trace for where to cut. I decided to use the original tie down loop as a center point so I could reuse that loop (even though I never plan to fold down the windshield)

I then grabbed my grinder with .045" cutting wheels. I was careful not to cut too deep so as to leave the under hood bracing in tact.

After cutting the holes place the louvers back in place and dril the many holes for the rivets (drill bit provided in the kit). Grind off rough spots then remove all the tape. I Swiss cheesed some holes into the cross members for some added air flow.

Tape again just outside the drilled holes. Paint everything flat black for looks and to cover the cut edges.

Let dry then remove all paper and tape.

Put louvers back in place. Time for the rivets. Man that was alot of friggin riveting!!

All done. Stand back and admire the work. It dropped my intake temps down 30 degrees just driving to work. When the fan kicks on at a 210 water temp it's like a blow drier is under the hood. Hot air is just spilling out the louvers. Now time for some high speed and crawling to just see how much they benifit.

Last edited by toad; 09-02-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Please no direct links to non-sponsors.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work, any tests on temp. changes yet?
Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON
Nice work, any tests on temp. changes yet?
Other than the initial 30 drop in intake nope. I head to Moab Wed and will really test her there. 100 degrees outside, pulling the Chaser, and running the AC will do the trick. I'll post up when results are known.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

any alignment issues when re-installing hood?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:22 AM
JK Jedi

I wonder if this will fog up the windshield in the winter time?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by oregon signs
any alignment issues when re-installing hood?
Nope. Can't do it wrong. The bolts that go into the hinges are tapered and self aligns the hood. Idiot proof (famous last words)

Originally Posted by bondsy
I wonder if this will fog up the windshield in the winter time?
I would expect they will help clear the windshield. Will see when the time comes.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice job and very clean looking for sure. Hope they do all that you were looking for them to do for you.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

awesome job!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Looks pretty cool on a black rig - not sure how it would look on another color, unless you paint matched them...

Nice work!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

very nice work man. looks like a great weekend project and very functional. might be better in the winter and snow as far heating the caben. the intake for the cab is at the base of the windshield. might just work out that the hot air from the engine heats the cabin as well.

Quick Reply: Runcool Louvers Installed