Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rusty's 3.25" lift review!

Old 01-06-2012, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,
1/6/12 I installed the Rusty's 3.25 inch lift on my 2011 JK. Let me first off offer a bit of advice, directions do not mean much if u have never done a lift before, thank God I've done about a dozen.
FRONT INSTALL : 3-4hrs
You will need 18-19-14-10mm sockets and wrenches, vice grips for the front shocks.The uninstall of stock parts is incredibly easy make sure u have real Jack stands and not ones from Kmart! U need enough clearance to finagle the new larger coils. Put them in first and start with the passenger side. Its a bitch! On the driver and passenger side there's a plastic clip behind the rotor, clip it! And there ya go, install the brake brackets and the sway bar links, adjustable track bar and the Front is done.

REAR INSTALL : 3-4hrs
Same as front but u need to work a little harder to get the coils in. And the shock sleeve bracket is the hardest part of the rear install... Just trying to sit it right into the opening is a pain, but I understand why it doesn't come already installed, due to the amount of people who have custom work or for use with other lift kits.

Overall:
The lift is very nice, been driving it without an aliment at 80mph and no bump steer at all. In town though, it drives like my old CJ lifted of course, but on the highway its smoother then my stock jeep components. I am impressed though overall.

After a week of highway driving:
I have to say after reading all the shocking negative feedback about rusty's products, I have to say those writers are nuts, or just plan drunk when they installed the lifts. I took the jeep for a simple suspension test and was impressed with its handling through water, mud and some kind of slush thing. I highly suggest that you wait at least 100-300miles before going crazy wheeling. All new suspension components need time to settle, and I don't mean by loosing lift height because I haven't lost any. For all questions pertaining to drop pitman arm and lower control arms, YOU DON'T NEED THEM! When jeep came out with the JK the control arms are probably 3-4 inches longer and stronger then the TJ. So don't waste your money UNLESS!!! You are going higher then 4inches of lift and doing serious off-roading, because now you have changed the steering angle and may most likely encounter bump steer or the "death wobble".
AND IF YOU ARE USING STOCK RIMS WITH YOUR NEW TIRES(I HAVE 35") U WILL NEED SPIDERTEX 1.5" SPACERS.
the rear tires will not fit on!

DO A LIFT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IT WILL SAVE YOU MORE MONEY IN THE END! -JEEPJKGRRL

Last edited by jeepjkgrrl; 01-14-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Rusty's Off-Road

Very cool!
If you have pics feel free to e- mail them to us.
onlinetech@rustysoffroad.com
Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

i dont have the whole lift but i do have the front springs... they r the best..

i love my bb, but i didnt want to buy another lift kit.

once the factory springs got to soft, my bumpstops with extentions were touching the axles, n knowing i was adding a winch n bumper i didnt want even more sag in the front. after checking other companies i went with rusty's.. i ordered online on fri sept 3rd 2010 (labor day weekend) by wednesday sept 8th 2010 they were at my door..

i now have 2-2.5" separation between the bumpstops n axle, n with the bumper n winch NO sagging but it has leveled the jeep..

Great Product... Thanks Rusty's.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

i wouldnt say smooth but they r smoother than stock w/spacers..
Old 01-11-2012, 11:31 AM
JK Freak

Glad you really like it! I definetely do mine!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this lift on my two door and love it rides better than my last lift but still isn't like stock ride but what lift is. It gave me 4.25 in of lift. Other than both driveshafts giving out 2 months after install and my 35's looking small with my flat flares I have no complaints
Old 01-14-2012, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rustyshackleford
Is the ride smooth? I have been eyeballing the coils. I have skycrappers and they just don't cut it.. little one isn't liking it at all. Just wondering how these coils react to bumps and pot holes ect
Well for a lift kit, I think they are smoother than others. But I have noticed that it differs with jeep style and brand. I run Rancho 3" with TeraFlex BB on my ZJ, but went with Skyjacker on my CJ's, and Rusty's on my JKL. But if u hit a pothole at any speed any suspension, you're going to feel it, how much you feel it is what matters. I'm personally impressed with this lift, and the price.

Last edited by jeepjkgrrl; 01-14-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by medic_23387
I have this lift on my two door and love it rides better than my last lift but still isn't like stock ride but what lift is. It gave me 4.25 in of lift. Other than both driveshafts giving out 2 months after install and my 35's looking small with my flat flares I have no complaints
If u put 35's I hope u re-geared to 5.13
Old 03-10-2012, 08:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Love the ride. I've got the 3.25 basic lift
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3216151202.jpg
Views:	2365
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	287552  
Old 04-01-2012, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just went on the jeep jamboree and was very pleased with the suspensions capabilities and agility. Awesome!

Quick Reply: Rusty's 3.25" lift review!