Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

RV towing Jeep - Modified Rugged Ridge Winch Bumper

Old 01-23-2009, 11:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JackMac4
Just outta curiosity, for those of you with class A's, are they not capable of trailer towing?

Every now and then I look at those despite the fact I can never afford one, but what I really want is something I can trailer tow my Jeep and sleep comfortably.
It depends on the MH. Some have an extended chassis and are only rated for so many pounds tongue weight yet they can tow many more "pull weight" which is why flat towing is used. With flat towing you cannot back up very wheel like you can with a trailer.

You can tow a small trailer that is very comfortable and there are several threads here in this forum. The key word is sleep comfortable as there is not a whole lot of walking around space. However, a real small trailer can be towed off road where MH's dare not go.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

Just outta curiosity, for those of you with class A's, are they not capable of trailer towing?

Every now and then I look at those despite the fact I can never afford one, but what I really want is something I can trailer tow my Jeep and sleep comfortably.
Yes, I can tow a trailer with my 4 door jk and 2 Full dresser Harleys on board, Seems to pull the same as having the jK flat but is stops a lot different even with trailer brakes. Pulling with a 34 foot Monaco diesel pusher 330HP, the only trouble with pulling a trailer is finding a place to store it when you get where you’re going, Don't say you can never afford one the next thing you know you will be driving one, That's what happened to me.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

I pull a trailer with a sand rail in it behind our MH when we go to the dunes. With rail, tools, race fuel and everything I'm about 7000lbs. And 64 ft. But even though I don't have the jeep set up for being towed behind the MH I know it's the way to go. Not having a trailer to worry about when you get to your destination would be great.
And the write up on this towing setup is great !! Thanks
Old 01-31-2009, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up the brackets from the welding shop yesterday, they look good. I then dropped them off at the powder coating shop.

As far as flat towing vs. a trailer. I have a 2002 36 foot diesel motorhome. It has 330hp and 1057# of torque. It is rated at 5,000# for towing. It will pull a lot more than that but that is what it is rated for. The 2003 model that is the same thing is rated for 10,000#. I would rather put it on a trailer. But then what do you do with the trailer when you get to the campground? Also the Jeep plus the trailer is going to be over the 5,000#. Flat towing is very easy, the hardest part is getting the brackets on the Jeep. The actual hooking and unhooking of the Jeep only takes a few minutes.

Even if my RV would tow 10,000# I thing I would still flat tow unless it was a very long trip.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

The folks at Rugged Ridge referred me to your post since I have been trying to solve the same problem. I want to have a rock winch bumper on my 07 JK Unlimited Rubicon and still tow it with my Itasca class A. Like you I have seen too much hangy-down stuff knocked off by rocks to tolerate a standard RV tow plate. Currently I am using the Currie tow plate with the stock bumper, but I have not taken it off-road with that setup. I am using a Blue Ox style tow bar with Reese style adapters since that was the standard for my club in Michigan when I lived there. We wanted to be able to tow each others' vehicles if necessary. So it looks like I can have a plate made similar to yours and have the Reese tow bracket welded to it.

One question. What size is the pin in the D-ring and how wide is the mouth? The Reese bracket uses a 1/2" pin as I recall.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

ky8t

I measured the clevis pin. It is 5/8". the opening of the mouth of the D-Ring is 3 3/16". Hope that helps. I don't know where Huntsville, TX is but I have been in Kerrville, TX for past 3 months. If you are close you can come by and see it. Will be here until Saturday.

Doug Hines
Benton, AR
Old 08-14-2010, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

If you tow behind a motor home, the weight of a trailer in addition to the weight of the jeep come into play. Most gas motor homes can only tow 5000 lbs total. My JK is 4200lbs, so add a regular trailer and I would be over. I tow it four down with no problems.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default Trying to do the same thing

I know this is an older thread, but I am new to this Jeep world and trying to set up my Jeep for flat towing behind my motorhome using a rugged ridge XDH bumper. I can not pull up your pictures. Anyway i can see them either by email or text? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Art
Old 02-22-2016, 01:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by artfuentes
I know this is an older thread, but I am new to this Jeep world and trying to set up my Jeep for flat towing behind my motorhome using a rugged ridge XDH bumper. I can not pull up your pictures. Anyway i can see them either by email or text? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Art
I will try to attach the only pic I can find of my bumper. I used the rugged Ridge winch bumper. Where the old bumper crash blocks mounted with the 4 bolts to the frame, I made a steel plate and welded brackets that would fit the Roadmaster tow bar. Pic shows the D-rings for off roading but you should remove them and insert the Roadmaster towbar. You can make these for about $80 and the savings over buying tow apparatus will almost pay for the winch bumper. I am now on my second Rubicon and have used this bumper and tow brackets for 7 years now with no problems.

If pic does not attach, send me an email to drhines@yahoo.com

Doug Hines
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	09Rubicon 009.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	638498  
Old 02-22-2016, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Hey Doug thanks so much for your picture. I think I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do for the tow brackets, but still lost on how to attach the safety cables and electrical plugs for the lights and break away switch. I figure I have to drill the bumper for those, but where are you attaching your safety cables?

Thanks!

Art

Originally Posted by drhines
I will try to attach the only pic I can find of my bumper. I used the rugged Ridge winch bumper. Where the old bumper crash blocks mounted with the 4 bolts to the frame, I made a steel plate and welded brackets that would fit the Roadmaster tow bar. Pic shows the D-rings for off roading but you should remove them and insert the Roadmaster towbar. You can make these for about $80 and the savings over buying tow apparatus will almost pay for the winch bumper. I am now on my second Rubicon and have used this bumper and tow brackets for 7 years now with no problems.

If pic does not attach, send me an email to drhines@yahoo.com

Doug Hines

Quick Reply: RV towing Jeep - Modified Rugged Ridge Winch Bumper