Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Self-Designed Lace-In Tonneau Cover for JKU

Old 04-17-2015, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Self-Designed Lace-In Tonneau Cover for JKU

Since I've had my current soft-top JKU, I've been concerned about keeping anything visible inside the cargo area since it's as easy as undoing a zipper and some Velcro, or worse yet, slicing open the back or a side window to get at it. I looked for tonneau-type soft covers and all I found used the same channel to clip into as the soft-top. That rules out using them when the top is on! A few years ago I set out to design my own cover and after playing with it off & on (OK, more off than on), I came up with a cover that would meet all my specifics; it could be laced in from the existing holes along the side rails and rolled up against the seat backs when the cargo area was needed, was adjustable around the roll bar, and would be supported to minimize sag. The pictures are of the final product.
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1121.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	606827
I used marine-grade naugahyde vinyl, had 6-inch nylon straps folded over and stitched in at the anchor points - leaving about an inch unstitched for the bungee or paracord, allowed for about a 3-inch overlap at the rollbars with 2-inches of Velcro, three 1-inch wide sleeves sewn in at the front (against the seat backs), in the middle, and against the tailgate, I then used 1/4-inch fiberglas rod (bicycle safety flags) and attached 6-gage zinc-coated copper wire lugs to the ends and shrink-wrapped them for the front and middle supports (the flat end of the lugs sit on top of the side rails) and used rubber grommets on the ends of the support at the tailgate and drilled a 1/2-inch hole on both sides for the rod end & grommet.
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1120.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	606828Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1122.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	606829Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1123.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	606830Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1124.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	606831
I am still experimenting with the "best" way to secure it in place and am currently trying the ball & cord-type bungees but will probably end up just using paracord. There's no flapping or noticable noise from it on the road with the windows down or removed. I also haven't yet tried to fold the top back to see how it will all fit. I plan on just removing the rear support rod, unlacing the first two anchor points, and letting the top rest in its normal folded position. We'll see!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like your setup here. I have been wondering how I wanted to cover my cargo area with the top off for awhile now. I carry a lot of valuable stuff back there and would hate for it to fall out or get stolen.

How much $$ do you have into this so far? If it's competitive with aftermarket designs I'd be hard pressed to not copy you! haha
Old 04-26-2015, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blizz
I really like your setup here. I have been wondering how I wanted to cover my cargo area with the top off for awhile now. I carry a lot of valuable stuff back there and would hate for it to fall out or get stolen.

How much $$ do you have into this so far? If it's competitive with aftermarket designs I'd be hard pressed to not copy you! haha
I drew up the design on my computer and made a full size template out of heavy butcher paper, which I trimmed and modified on the Jeep with painters tape. I got the material a couple years ago. Took everything to a local upholstery shop and talked him into putting it together for me. Ended up costing quite a bit more than a mass produced one but it is custom made to my design and Jeep. That and, as I posted originally, I couldn't find a lace-in version anywhere. I can send you the design. It's in MSWord. Send email via PM if you want it.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '11BronzeStar70th
I drew up the design on my computer and made a full size template out of heavy butcher paper, which I trimmed and modified on the Jeep with painters tape. I got the material a couple years ago. Took everything to a local upholstery shop and talked him into putting it together for me. Ended up costing quite a bit more than a mass produced one but it is custom made to my design and Jeep. That and, as I posted originally, I couldn't find a lace-in version anywhere. I can send you the design. It's in MSWord. Send email via PM if you want it.
Appreciate it! PM sent.

Quick Reply: Self-Designed Lace-In Tonneau Cover for JKU